TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced both sides UCA and LCA with Moog parts about 2-3 months ago Also replaced front "struts" with Monroe and rears with KYB. Past few weeks I hear a groaning sound, almost sounds like "quacking", whenever I go slow over speed humps or when the car "floats" over a wavy road. The sound is definitely coming from the upper left suspension area. Went back to installer, who blamed recent rains (which don't happen often here in TX) affecting the UCA bushings and recommended WD-40. Sounds like total BS to me. Same area also occasionally has a loud knock on slow full turn. Any ideas?

BTW...sound stopped after WD, but I'm sure that didn't FIX anything.

·
Administrator
7,996 Posts
Maybe the weight of the car wasn't on the front suspension when he tightened everything down, causing the UCA bushings to bind up.

Just a thought! :)

Joe

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Easy, just loosen the top UCA bolt nuts, bounce the car up and down a time or two, and torque them back up to spec.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, I don't know that it'll hurt them, but it really is more of a moisture displacer and a very light lubricant. There are better things to lubricate and protect rubber bushings that wil last longer is my intended point.

WD-40 is one of them "closely guarded secret concoction" things.

Perhaps my wording was a bit abrupt .... sorry ..... my bad. :)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Well, I don't know that it'll hurt them, but it really is more of a moisture displacer and a very light lubricant. There are better things to lubricate and protect rubber bushings that wil last longer is my intended point.

WD-40 is one of them "closely guarded secret concoction" things.

Perhaps my wording was a bit abrupt .... sorry ..... my bad. :)
fish oil...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Good Dog!

:)

The uca bushings are solidly connected; thus the need to have the weight on them when you tighten them down.

Open the hood, loosen all 4, bounce the car a bit, then tighten them back down. Ratcheting wrenches rule.

If the bushing rotates in the arm, it's torn loose. It's not supposed to.

The pivot bolts at the shocks and the inner control arm bolt on the bottom need to be tightened the same way.

Don't do the inner bolt; it's an alignment point. Tell the alignment guy. And give him the specs in the suspension article. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Dog!

:)

The uca bushings are solidly connected; thus the need to have the weight on them when you tighten them down.

Open the hood, loosen all 4, bounce the car a bit, then tighten them back down. Ratcheting wrenches rule.

If the bushing rotates in the arm, it's torn loose. It's not supposed to.

The pivot bolts at the shocks and the inner control arm bolt on the bottom need to be tightened the same way.

Don't do the inner bolt; it's an alignment point. Tell the alignment guy. And give him the specs in the suspension article. :)
What suspension article are you referring to?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I think this . And nice friend there Chris :)

Aggressive handling four wheel alignment settings

NOTE: Adverse tire wear is not an issue with these settings as
they are within the outer edge of the factory ranges.
These settings can be used for all the MN12 years and models.

Front Camber -1.3* Range min -1.3............+0.3 max

Front Caster +5.5* Range min +4.8............+6.3 max

Front Toe -0.03* Range min -0.03........+0.10 max

Rear Camber -1.0* Range min -1.0.........+0.0 max

Rear Toe -0.03* Range min -0.03......+0.19 max

*Preferred settings for aggressive handling

ALIGNMENT NOTES:

Rear camber adjustment is on the upper arm (inside bolt turns eccentric bushing)

Rear toe adjustment is on the lower arm (eccentric washer)

Front caster adjustment is on the strut rod (adjust length through frame)

Front camber adjustment is on the lower arm (eccentric washer)

Front toe adjustment is on the tie rods (adjust length)

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
My alignment guy really liked me sharing that; other people really liked the way their car felt afterward.

For one, it gets rid of the rough transition to oversteer that most of these cars have under heavy cornering. :)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
My alignment guy (me)is a real jerk, he hates doing alignments...

<---- I align my own car's on state of the art hunter alignment machines.
The specs in the article are good for a fairly narrow, stock-ish sized front tire, after that I'd add a little more toe in on the front, especially if your running a 255/50/17 or 275/40/17 up front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts