TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing Youtube to see if there were any new T-Bird drag vids, and I stumble across this one. In his description he says that he has 373's , U/D pulleys, and more....

Ran a 15.9 :confused:

Then in his comments he says that he has a 15.4 slip as well. I run that now...... Stock.

But I thought someone might know him or of him, and we can pull together to help him, because something is majorly wrong with that bird, and he says he's getting a DD modified converter from www.dirtydogperformance.com So I figured he might also be a member..... dunno. Anywho here is the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bopzDwnFN0Q

Let's try to help this guy out imo. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,907 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
He is a member.

That's James' a.k.a. CometGSR's car. The STEEDA pullies he has I sold to him.

These are his domains:

www.fordthunderbird.net

and

www.mn12.net
Well believe me when I say that I meant no offense whatsoever CometGSR, but I have to ask what's up with the bird? Do you have a lot of extra weight in the car or something?

I have all of the options you have listed on your website ie: Sun/Moonroof, auto climate control, power driver's seat etc etc. I have a non j-modded tranny, 3.08 open diff, stock motor. The only mods I have are a Spectre CAI - fabbed up by me, and a duel exhaust with a Magnaflow Mid mounted muffler. I just expected your bird would smoke mine with a chip, j-mod, and 3.73's.

Again no offense, and not meant to call you out in any way.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Maybe it was hot outside?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe it was hot outside?
Really? N/A cars don't get effected anywhere near as bad with weather as a FI car. He said his best time was a 15.4, Again, you ran a what 15.5 stock (and I mean stock, not what's in your sig with the u/d pulleys) Ian ran a 15.7 with a 5 spd swap, still stock. With a stock violin case I ran a 15.9 now with the CAI that I fabbed up...15.47 We didn't have 3.73's I know I don't have a J-mod,tune etc etc. So that's why it was so confusing to me.

Weather? Tires? Track prep? 15.9 is typical if those aren't ideal.

Kinda sounds like you are IMO
I didn't know if he was a member here for sure, so no, I was not calling him out. I was asking us as a community to help a fellow bird owner. You know since right now this site needs all the help it can get. So I was hoping to get more ppl to the site. When I found out that he WAS a member I felt bad about what it looked like, however I still feel there is an underlying problem with the car in question, or he has a lot of extra weight in it etc.

In the vid, he did not spin his wheels that much, a little yes, but not that much. So that takes track prep and tires out of the equation. Then there is weather.... well I already posted an answer to that.

3.73's, tune, j-mod, pulleys, Mark VIII DS.... should have broken that car into the 14's IMO.

Just going by what was taught to me here.

·
Super Moderator
16,815 Posts
Just because it looks like it got traction in the video doesn't mean it got traction. If he did have perfect traction on street tires, slicks or DRs would forever be irrelevant. If the track surface is crap you can lose traction off the line and in between shifts without hearing even the slightest peep

14s? No way. Not without good tires, not with a stock 12" converter (which he may or may not have swapped at the time of the video), not with a 94/5 top end. UDPs don't do squat for performance, nor the DS in this case really. The tune and J-mod can have an effect but not a seconds worth improvement without supporting mods.

·
Super Moderator
11,907 Posts
Here we go again ... arguing over a 15 second car at 87.88 MPH. :facepalm: lol :tongue:

Yes, heat and humidity make a big difference for both N/A and forced induction cars. The difference can be as much as half a second. Yes, it was hot at the track that day - The video was shot in August for heavens sake!

He had the stock converter in the car at the time of the run in early August 2011. He didn't get the Marauder convert until late August 2011 (according to his website).

No one is going to break into the 14's with the mods you listed ("3.73's, tune, j-mod, pulleys, Mark VIII DS.... ") without a better-than-stock converter.

He'll get the car faster. You can't judge a car or driver on just one run.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing his thoughts on this discussion about his car.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
An example of heat affecting an NA car: When I was at Fayetteville the weekend proceeding Thanksgiving. When it was in the low 60's outside at Rockingham two years ago, I was running 15.4-15.5 second ET's. When I was a Fayetteville, it was what, in the mid to upper 70's? The best I could muster that day was a 15.66. I was running anywhere between a 15.66-15.8 ET. I even put under drive pulleys on and had a j-mod done since I ran the 15.421 ET. Temperature makes a big difference!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
An example of heat affecting an NA car: When I was at Fayetteville the weekend proceeding Thanksgiving. When it was in the low 60's outside at Rockingham two years ago, I was running 15.4-15.5 second ET's. When I was a Fayetteville, it was what, in the mid to upper 70's? The best I could muster that day was a 15.66. I was running anywhere between a 15.66-15.8 ET. I even put under drive pulleys on and had a j-mod done since I ran the 15.421 ET. Temperature makes a big difference!
+1 I remember years ago a buddy of mine bought one of those Buick Grand National Turbo cars; we would fill his air box with ice and his time dropped drastically (I don't remember the numbers, but I DO REMEMBER you could feel the difference in the seat-of-pants meter).

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
LOL.. I just saw this..

Yes, it was hotter then blazes out there. Humidity was very high as well. This track is usually very busy on test and tune nights but not this day! People decided to stay home. I was able to get in 10 runs on a night where I would be lucky to get 4. These aren't excuses, its just how it was that day. My 15.4 slip was much earlier in the year, but I didn't have the video camera at that time.

I do have bad tires (Indy 500) and a problem with my driveshaft (vibration). I also don't have the torque converter (which is being worked on by DirtyDog) or the J-Mod (also getting from DirtyDog). My Michelins Pilot Sports aren't installed yet either. I also have the RichardM Intake (which I asked about on another thread).

As for being called out, its happened here before. When I first got her in 2008, she was in the Mid-16s with all of the original and worn out equipment. I think she has come a long way thanks for the good advice I have recieved.

I am thinking of editing out the time on those videos. Its a distraction.. I knew the times were bad, but I like posting about my car on the internet.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, I did not mean any "calling out" or offense to you at all. Ty for not blowing up about it, and taking the time to post what actually happened. If your car was running mid 16's and you got it to 15.4 with a tune, 373's, bad tires etc, I think your doing great. Hell that's a second difference with less mods than I stated before. Nice job. She does look great btw. Love that color. Good luck with the rest of the build. Guess a second can be had with less mods than we thought. Keep posting vids man, love to see what she becomes.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well, my car was in poor shape when I got her mechanically. The suspension was a mess, transmission had the valve body buzz, original spark plugs, bad valve seals.. the list goes on and on. Now she is all fixed up to the point where I can start making her better then stock. I just wish I could do everything at once. I have a family and I can only spend $1000 or so a year on fixing it. Next year, I am hoping to get the body fixed up.

No offense taken! When I go to the drags, I am there to have a good time. I might be the slowest guy there that evening, but I don't care. Its all about having good, clean and safe fun for an evening.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my car was in poor shape when I got her mechanically. The suspension was a mess, transmission had the valve body buzz, original spark plugs.. the list goes on and on. Now she is all fixed up to the point where I can start making her better then stock. I just wish I could do everything at once. but I have a family and I can only spend $1000 or so a year on fixing it. Next year, I am hoping to get the body fixed up.

No offense taken! When I go to the drags, I am there to have a good time. I might be the slowest guy there that evening, but I don't care. Its all about having good, clean and safe fun for an evening.
Amen to that!!!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
From the ashes, CometGSR resurrects the tired Thunderbird and emerges VICTORIOUS! :headbang:

·
Super Moderator
11,907 Posts
Out of my ashes
will rise a new phoenix.

A soaring being
returning from death
proving once again
that life is eternal.

As long as I live,
I learn.
And I live
F o r e v e r

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Out of my ashes
will rise a new phoenix.

A soaring being
returning from death
proving once again
that life is eternal.

As long as I live,
I learn.
And I live
F o r e v e r
Hey, you stole that pic from me when I stole it from someone else! WTF?!?
rofl!

·
Super Moderator
11,907 Posts
It takes a thief to know a thief. lol

Both great pix. I'm gonna steal the other pic you stole too! :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
It takes a thief to know a thief. lol

Both great pix. I'm gonna steal the other pic you stole too! :tongue:
You can get as many as you want. Google "phoenix" (without the quotes) and click on IMAGES along the left of the screen. There are thousands you can choose from! (yes, I thought how I could get so many more images by looking for a phoenix than a thunderbird all by myself :))

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
LOL! Thanks a lot guys for the support!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts