TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without the use of explosives of course....;)...and no more than $20.

I'm thinking right now a basic homemade slingshot, but recently I came across an idea of a potato-gun-like device, but I'm thinking the slingshot would be easier.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My brothers being pyros think of crazy things like that all the time. They suggested you put a paintball gun cartridge (Co2?) on the back of a roller skate. Let it roll, I think you should just stuff your marshmellow into a nice little airplane.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I built a potato gun out of some PVC pipe, a universal grill ignitor, and used hair spray (propane based) as the fuel. It would fire a potato slug a very long distance. I would estimate at least 800 feet. It also went thru a 1/2" thk. piece of plywood from a 10 ft. distance. You need to use extreme caution when using these. They can seriously injure, or even kill someone.

I would consider the potato gun to be an explosive type of device.

Also, I believe some towns now consider a potato gun a firearm, and have banned them from use. I believe you can be arrested for firing one within the town boundaries.

Might want to stick with a slingshot (if they're not illegal too.....lol)

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL the version I saw wasn't quite that powerful, it used carbon dioxide produced from acetic acid and sodium bicarbonate for power. 800 feet is insane!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Does the marshmallow *have* to be in original condition before it's fired? If it does, it wouldn't make a good projectile to be fired through any sort of tube because it would just leave a slime trail in the tube and lose most of it's mass. However, if you charred the outside of it significantly over an open flame, it would leave soot rather than slime behind and it a much lesser quantity. :D On the other hand, go to Wal*Mart and buy a wrist rocket slingshot and you should easily be able to launch it almost to the horizon.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Other than minor reshaping the marshmallow can't be modified, chemically or otherwise. I'm almost positive we are going with a homemade slingshot, our grade might suffer with a store-bought version!

On the same topic there are some kids downstairs by the pool building theirs right now, and I'm hearing hammering and seeing rather large pieces of wood. People just exert too much effort if you ask me! Slingshot should be very simple and very easy to adjust for distance and wind (i.e. just move your arm!)....oh well...

·
Registered
209 Posts
How about this, take a 2 liter bottle, a piece of plywood and something to lay the plywood on. Elevate the plywood with whatever you decide, maybe cinderblocks. Stuff the marshmallow into the open end of the bottle and lay the bottle on the elevated plywood. Then stomp on the bottle as hard as you can. You might be able to get 50 feet out of it. Maybe not, but shooting things out of a stomped on 2 liter bottle is at least 30 minutes worth of fun.
GUN

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it is! I also thought using two simple items: a tee and a 6-iron. :uppoint: My years of working on a golf course are showing now LOL...we hit a lot of weird stuff with golf clubs at work, including slicing a sealed and full beer can perfectly in half with a Callaway Hawkeye Titanium 5-iron. Top of the can probably only went 10 feet though, I'd need more distance!

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
hmm, this might not work, but just for fun:

get yourself a large volume of bottled CO2, construct an expansion chamber out of PVC pipe. put a 1/4 turn valve between the CO2 canister and the expansion chamber. Make your self a nice marshmallow sized barrel and put it on the other end of the expansion chamber with a large 1/4 turn valve between them. On the expansion chamber install a valve so you can bleed off pressure (a pressure gauge wouldnt be a bad idea too).

now, with the barrel valve closed fill the expansion chamber, and close off the tank valve. Vent the CO2 out of the chamber with the bleed valve (this is to chill the chamber). once the chamber is nice and chilly, refill it. After its filled, maybe let it warm up a bit to increase the pressure?? Just dont blow your self up.

now :D ..... load your marshmallow, aim, crank that valve open and see if it works, or just shreds the marshmallow.... could go either way

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
keep it simple stupid. Find something cheap with enought mass that can be launched 50ft and attach the marshmellow to it...and slingshot it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't think CO2 would be necessary (air compressor could work), i could be wrong.
I was thinking the expansion chamber myself.

Otherwise there's the slingshot. You're gonna need a helluva alot of force because the marshmallow is light and very un-aerodynamic.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gunslinger said:
How about this, take a 2 liter bottle, a piece of plywood and something to lay the plywood on. Elevate the plywood with whatever you decide, maybe cinderblocks. Stuff the marshmallow into the open end of the bottle and lay the bottle on the elevated plywood. Then stomp on the bottle as hard as you can. You might be able to get 50 feet out of it. Maybe not, but shooting things out of a stomped on 2 liter bottle is at least 30 minutes worth of fun.
GUN

Been there! Sorta... I drove a tractor trailer for a recycler and I used to line up 2 liter bottles in front of my tires with the tops just slightly loosened. When I'd pull forward, the caps would launch a measly 30 feet. :(

On another note... Whatever you do, roll the marshmallow into a ball. That would be closer to ballistically perfect than it's normal cylindrical shape. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oooh! There's an idea! Cram the marshmallow into a 2 liter bottle cap, put it into a slingshot and fire that puppy!

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Great Obucina said:
keep it simple stupid. Find something cheap with enought mass that can be launched 50ft and attach the marshmellow to it...and slingshot it.
I believe that the marshmallow has to be completely detached from any and all foreign objects after launch and at landing.

I'm going to try to find some sort of heavy duty rubber band, like a mini version of those water balloon launchers. Granted the marshmallow (the golf ball sized version) has little mass, but hopefully we can get enough initial velocity on it to get it there. 50 feet really isn't that far, and holding a slingshot approximately five to six feet in the air reduces the amount of force that we will need by at least a slight degree as opposed to a ground launch that some people are doing I would think. Tomorrow is experimentation day as I have no other responsibilities tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had to do a similar project in high school. We had to build a device that used two straws, a pencil, and a rubber band to launch a garbonzo bean. I ended up cutting a groove into a 2x2 just wide enough for the pencil (wrapped with the straws to reduce friction) and wrapped the rubber band around the edges. I used an additional 2x2 glued to the bottom to build launch angle (don't forget...45 degrees is optimal, no more) Then I put the garbonzo bean in a notch cut at one end. To launch the bean. just pull back on the pencil (like a plunger), then BANG!! First prize, baby! A little over 100 ft. :D

Would something like that work? You could also try one of those catapult/slingshot type devices from the middle age. I would be interested in what you end up doing, if you don't mind sharing. :)

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
Might be able to get a little crazy with some dry ice and water :) That would be my prefered method without use of any types of explosives. Or see how many different methods you can make for under 20 bucks. I think dry ice with water and slingshot and catapult could all be doable.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's called a trebuchet...I've sort of looked into it, but I agree with what TGO said, keep it simple, stupid. A slingshot seems to me to be the easiest, most adjustable solution to the problem. I'll just have to see if I can muster sufficient force to fire that baby 50 feet.

Seabass, maybe I'm just not thinking, but what are you getting at with the dry ice and water?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts