TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that Cuyahoga county(Cleveland, Ohio) no longer requires vehicle an E-Check to get new tags. If this is true it great news! I have a 94 Cougar with no exhaust after the first two cats and don't have the money to put an exhaust on that beast!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where did you hear that? I'm just curious, because I live in Lorain County and have Collector's plates on all but one of our Stangs. E check is the biggest PITA ever, and I swear, it's fixed any way. I wish they'd get rid of it all together.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ricerbird said:
whats e-check :confused:
It's the State of Ohio's emissions test. Basically, they put your car on dyno style rollers, put a stick in the tailpipes, and run the piss out of the car. It's the biggest joke ever...........new cars fail more often than older cars, and modded ones pass easier than stock ones. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
oh we aint got nothin like that here. the only places that do it here are like chicago i think. good for me though cuz i got straight pipe from the two front cats out to a resonator race tip. and in a while im thinkin on goin to high flows or just straight pipe. sucks to be you though man. im glad we dont got that kinda thing here.

so what do they do if you dont pass ?? do you gotta hit up an exhaust shop really quick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ricerbird said:
oh we aint got nothin like that here. the only places that do it here are like chicago i think. good for me though cuz i got straight pipe from the two front cats out to a resonator race tip. and in a while im thinkin on goin to high flows or just straight pipe. sucks to be you though man. im glad we dont got that kinda thing here.

so what do they do if you dont pass ?? do you gotta hit up an exhaust shop really quick
If you fail, you don't have to pay the fee. When you return for a retest, you have to show what repairs were made to improve your emissions. If you spend $200, you can get a waiver and they'll let you get your yearly registration. Otherwise, no dice.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Toombs said:
It's not state wide. It goes by city. I'm in Columbus, no emissions testing here. (Thank goodness)

Mike
No checks here either. I think it's only the Cleveland and Akron area (at least in this quarter of the state.)

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Kolenich said:
The only change to echeck was that starting this year it is free, even if the car passes.

Karl
Dang, be nice if they just completely got rid of it!

For OBDII cars (96+), they just plug into the connector and scan the system. If there aren't any codes or signs of anything wrong, you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i think they only do it in big cities where there are alot of cars and pollution. but here in decatur we are a decent sized city. but we also have acouple ADM factories and a HUGE staley factory. so the ammount of pollution here isnt measured by the cars. those two factoies are always putting stuff in the air 24/7 (at least i live across town from them) but ADM has like 3-4 huge factories within a 5 mile radius.

and for that we have earned the name "the soy capitol city of the world" wich is true but if you got allergies done ever come here.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Evil95GT said:
Where did you hear that? I'm just curious, because I live in Lorain County and have Collector's plates on all but one of our Stangs. E check is the biggest PITA ever, and I swear, it's fixed any way. I wish they'd get rid of it all together.
Look at you, invading my forums. ;)

Welcome!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, so its just free? Wow with the economy it would make more sense to get rid of in that case. Well I guess no dual exhaust:(

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wouldn't sweat anything like duel exhaust. I had my Mark VIII in running a 13.7 (All the usual bolt ons) and it would pass with half the alloted emissions. I have never had a car fail (except that gas cap that was mentioned).

In extreme cases (like a V8 fiero or if your going to build your 5.0) you can get collector plates or say you live in another county.

Karl

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Kolenich said:
I wouldn't sweat anything like duel exhaust. I had my Mark VIII in running a 13.7 (All the usual bolt ons) and it would pass with half the alloted emissions. I have never had a car fail (except that gas cap that was mentioned).

In extreme cases (like a V8 fiero or if your going to build your 5.0) you can get collector plates or say you live in another county.

Karl
Well the thing is, he bought the car from our buddy who went to the airforce . And the thing has no exhaust at all. It is cut right after the primary cats! And the original exhuast is history.

Our buddy had planned on getting an exhaust for it but figured it wasn't worth it since he will be leaving in a short time.

And Joe, the thing will still pass emissions with only two cats! So go ahaed and do what I did. Get true duals ran after the primary cats at that exhaust shop that I went to! Remember? the one by Space? get a 30 day tag, so you have time to get that taken care of...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's my take on e-check.

On our '95 Mustangs, each one required a passing e check certificate to obtain the collector's plates. My husband's 95 is a Kenne Bell blown car. His car passed with minimal readings. My '95 had heads, cam, intake, and all the smog equipment removed, except for the cats. The car passed with a reading three times as high as the KB car. Now, our '89........we had it tested once bone stock. The readings came out to around 24%. Took the car back 2 years later (June 2005) with heads, cam, intake, and every bolt on known to man. The result? 3% pollution. That's why I swear up and down it's "fixed".......no way in hell does that '89 run cleaner now than it did bone stock. And mileage isn't a factor. It had 15,300 original the first time around, and now has 18,000.

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
still got it in Lake County as far as I know. sucks too because i have a CEL that i have to fix before i can take it there in april. biggest waste of time/$30 i spent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts