TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's a '90 Ford F150 we have at work...sitting around, and well...its beat to heck. The owner is one of the salesman's father- and he leaves the truck in Michigan for us to make small deliveries of sheet metal, while the owner lives in Florida. Has 10X,XXX miles, and it looks like the spark plugs have never been changed, so he asked me to take it to school and see what I can do.
The cheapest quote they got to do plugs and wires was $600, Yes...the fun begins.
We got one plug out...with the threads rusted in the heads.
We've been using an "easy-out" ...but no luck.
Heat, penetrating oil, Easy out....No luck.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
PB Blaster? Other than that I would say try getting them out while the block is warm from running. Maybe they'll pop a little easier.

Jay

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think we have used 2 cans of PB, the plugs have been soaking since...Monday or Tuesday, I forget.
The 1st plug came out, left the threads in the head. The second plug snapped loose, the spark plug threads are rusted into the head's threads, and it's getting caught on something and won't come out. We didnt want to create more headaches and try doing #3-6 plugs.

We have been torching the area where the plug's threads are rusted, and then we hammer in the "easy-out" , and attempt to break it loose...no luck. We repeat the process for two hours until it's time to go to lunch. haha

My instructor has a couple more ideas, but I was just seeing what you guys have done when you come across this, or if you ever have....

We don't want to run the truck because some porcelain from the plug cracked and debris might be in the cylinder or head, so we want to shoot compressed air in the plug hole to make sure no debris are going to be scraping the cylinder's wall.

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Ok, here is my idea. Pick up a good used set of E7 heads, which you could probably get for about $50-100, put the new plugs in those heads, then do a headswap. On a 5.0 in an F150, you could easily have the whole headswap done in a day. Personally, I hate when I'm working on a car making no progress. I'd rather do a much bigger job and actually see that I am getting somewhere instead of wasting time trying to get a siezed plug out of an old head. Good luck.

Mike

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I think Mikeys on the right track, assuming its a 5.0 F-150. I think I'd yank the heads (head if its the I6) and look at whats up. It'll be a helluva lot easier to work with with the heads off.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
StupidFly said:
I think Mikeys on the right track, assuming its a 5.0 F-150. I think I'd yank the heads (head if its the I6) and look at whats up. It'll be a helluva lot easier to work with with the heads off.
If soaking it in PBlaster for 2 days didn't do it you'll be pulling the head(s) anyway... might as well get on it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has the I6, what motor is that thing anyway?
Every other bolt looks just as rusted..... It would just cause breaking and making brackets, and replacing every single bolt. The entire engine is rust bucket.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Honestly, I’m guessing your going to need to take the head off unless the PB works. Look forward to snapping exhaust bolts, possibly intake bolts and probably bracket bolts from how rusty it sounds. :eek:

By far what I hate most about working on cars is rust, but you gotta deal I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
David_viny said:
By far what I hate most about working on cars is rust, but you gotta deal I guess. :rolleyes:
You won't have to deal with it nearly as much if you move to FL. Winter road salt is the main rust culprit. ;)

When I had to take the exhaust off of my 89 Cougar (from cat back) to change the fuel pump it came off with and went back on with the same bolts/nuts that it came from the factory with. It was at least a 12~13 yr old car at that point. It was originally sold in Michigan and promptly relocated to FL. :)

My 97 on the other hand spent about 2~3 yrs in Philly before coming down to SW FL. It has more rust on it then the 89 had when it was older then my 97' is today. :(

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I know this may sound stupid, but have you tried tightening the plugs a bit, then loosening them? Kinda like rocking them back and forth. I've gotten many a stuck bolts loose this way, especially after using the PB.

Jay

·
Registered
16 Posts
FordMan77 said:
I know this may sound stupid, but have you tried tightening the plugs a bit, then loosening them? Kinda like rocking them back and forth. I've gotten many a stuck bolts loose this way, especially after using the PB.

Jay
dont know if you can do that with the threads broke in there..unless it still has the hex bolt on the back end of the plug.. got an pics for details?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
ThunderBeast86 said:
It has the I6, what motor is that thing anyway?
Engine Size- ohv I6 4.9L / 300 cu. in.
Horsepower 145
Torque 265

Jay

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright, so if you were to take the head off....
Then what?
How are you going to get the spark plugs thread out of the head?

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Heat the head, and use an easy out.

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
(of course after the head has been removed)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
MadMikeyL said:
Ok, here is my idea. Pick up a good used set of E7 heads, which you could probably get for about $50-100, put the new plugs in those heads, then do a headswap. On a 5.0 in an F150, you could easily have the whole headswap done in a day. Personally, I hate when I'm working on a car making no progress. I'd rather do a much bigger job and actually see that I am getting somewhere instead of wasting time trying to get a siezed plug out of an old head. Good luck.

Mike
:zwthstpd:
Just get a new set of heads and be done with it! Spray every bolt before you try to take it out might help.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well you've got to realize...
it's an old man's car.... it's a p.o.s.
I, nor does he want to spend another dime on it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts