TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title explains it, wondering if anyone knows them. Helms says to check the "Powertrain control/Emission diagnosis" manual, and I don't have that one.

I searched, couldn't find it:zdunno:

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i just sold my coils, and i dont have any other ones to check, but I do know that the primary resistance (center pin to either outer ones) should be very low, in the neighborhood of ~ 1-2 ohms.....secondary resistance (coil tower to center pin) is somewhat high, around 3kOhms....i'll see if I can find an old post of mine where i had mentioned it

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The coil wire pins will be like 200 ohms to 2k ohms. The pins for the battery wires and the starter wires resistance should be very high. Like OPEN. If that is any resistance, then voltage is leaking through. If you turn the key and it tries to start then it is good!

·
Super Moderator
10,589 Posts
I found this info way from back:

Resistance values between coil towers 4/7, 2/8, 1/6, and 3/5 should be approx 14.20K+/-20 ohms cold
and 16.25K+/-25 hot approx. Resistance between at pins 1T/LG, 2R/LG, 3T/LB should be 0.5 to 1.0 ohms.
Where he says +-20 and +-25, it think he means percent, because otherwise those are some hi-spec coils, lol.

I have several different types I use for projects, and the Ford ones work the best.

The tortured ones on my bench are within the specs above, 15k on the secondary side, ~1 ohm on the primary. (these have been operated Way out of spec)

It's from here:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=719&highlight=Coil+resistance+ignition

1 - 4 of 4 Posts