TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the MSD ignition coils for the MN12 4.6L have a poor reputation. How about the Accel coils? Anybody have good or bad experience with them?

·
Registered
370 Posts
i've got the MSD coils and don't have a problem with them. accel is commonly found at autohole, so... your call on that one.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
The factory/stock coils are perfectly acceptable for medium-duty engines; like 95badbird said, in the 4-500 HP range. I run the Accels on my car and am pleased with them. The average increase in efficiency over stock on them is about 10%.

I don't belive that MSD is any better than Accel or that the Accel coils are any worse than MSD. The Accel coils were recommended by Sean Hyland and I got my set used from OxmanWI.

Here are the numbers for the Accel coils from Jegs.

• 42,000 volts
  • Direct bolt-in, plug-in replacement
  • Advanced section bobbin technology
  • Compatible with Ford EDIS and MSD or Crane DIS
  • Silicone magnetic steel core with optimized windings and resistance for higher energy output and longer dwell
  • 8% peak increase in voltage over OE
  • 9% peak increase in current over OE
  • 11% peak increase in energy over OE
  • 21% peak increase in arc duration over OE

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is making 348 Hp at the wheels (estimated 425 Hp at the crank) under 10 psi boost with water/meth injection. Hoping for another 25 or so Hp this year. When the car was last on a dyno, the tuner told me he thought there was a little bit of misfire at high rpm, although I have not felt it when driving or at the dragstrip. Since I'm running original, 120,000 mile Ford coil packs, I wondered if it might not be a good idea to replace them with something newer and/or better.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ever considered coil over plug?

·
Registered
185 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts