TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock coils seem to be reaching the last of there life. Yes I am aware that they are just suposed to go bad. How ever, working with electronics I have learned one thing! Nothing is ever how it seems and all electronic devises can develope a mind of its own. Every couple of weeks I get a missfire after driving for an hour or so. through trial an error I have found that if I pull each plug wire, wipe, hit with rubber malet and repeate. The fowled condition returns to normal. I have changed out the plugs and wires several times over the years and the problem still hangs on So I figured I would get a good set of wires, screemon demon coils and the ACF-12C(???) spark plugs. My question is, How much over stock will this improve my performance? Thanks for your glorious knowledge ahead of time. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
with a stock engine, none at all. Most guys here run factory coils with Superchargers and have plenty of spark.

Don't waste your money, just get stock coild from Dan Newman, see vendors on front page. Also try cleaning your MAF, do a search for it.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
screaming demons dont make that big of a difference at all....they just look good....i got the demons packs and wires...not noticable diff...just back to normal car...my old wires and packs were just dead so i had to replace them....i can post a pic if u want me to show you what they look like...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The test for coil packs is just an ohm meter. Your manual (Helms, Haynes, Chiltons) should all list the accectable range.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a better coil (better ignition system as a whole) should allow you to run with a slightly wider plug gap, increasing fuel economy if nothing else. I've also heard it increases throttle response and high-rpm power where less potent coils start to fall on their face. Now, this is based on comparing an MSD to the stock coil that's in my monte carlo, I don't know if stock t-bird coils are any better.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The stock Tbird packs are a very hot pack. I'm running them on a blown car and have had no issues losing spark

·
Registered
210 Posts
zero89lx said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a better coil (better ignition system as a whole) should allow you to run with a slightly wider plug gap, increasing fuel economy if nothing else. I've also heard it increases throttle response and high-rpm power where less potent coils start to fall on their face.] You are correct. It just depends on what level of performance your at.....;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts