TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local supplier does not have the adapters to check the module. Here are the symptoms. Tach goes dead, runs rough, either missing, or misfiring 2-3 cylinders, sometimes hard starting.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The best tester is a known good distributor. Dont even have to stick it in the engine. Put a plug on the coil HT lead.
Your dist pickup may be bad, you know.

Pull the ICM off the frame/heat sink. If the dielectric grease is dried/caked it is most likely bad.

And I would rather have a motorcraft ICM off a rusted out hulk in the junkyard than a new wells/Airtex from a box. As long as that grease is still grease.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cam/crank sensor! 3.8 s/c don't have a distributor.

·
Registered
231 Posts
or it maybe the DSI also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since it's running rough its a bad DIS module, must be 89-93 supercoupe

94-95 has edis and doesn't encounter that problem, ford did do something right :)
Yes, it is a '90 Cougar XR-7, same as S/C. Don't even know what a DIS is. Here arethe symptoms. Every once and awhile it will start to run rough, I would say misfiring. The tachometer goes dead. If I pull over to the side ofthe road, trun it off and restart, everything is fine for a while. When cold, it starts right up. Hot it can take 3-4 tries to start.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
im pretty sure if i remember right there was a tsb on the ICM for overheating in 90'

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ooops on the Distributor... well, whatever this is a classic ICM fail symptom much like later TSI problems. { Earlier ones just died, period}

So if it's not the ckps or cps, and it probably isnt, look for dried grease on the back. If it is dry, it's almost certainly the problem. If not dry still could be.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Sounds like bad Cam sensor to me. If was bad Crank it wouldn't start at all. With bad cam sensor it will lose tach but still run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remove DIS clean heatsink mount and back of DIS apply Artic Silver heatsink coumpound and reinstall . Best place I have found to get Artic Silver is computer shop .

·
Registered
613 Posts
Remove DIS clean heatsink mount and back of DIS apply Artic Silver heatsink coumpound and reinstall . Best place I have found to get Artic Silver is computer shop .
Which aint gonna fix a damaged DIS, if that's what it is and hard starting says it might be. And "Artic Silver heatsink coumpound" is overkill, but wth..

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Which aint gonna fix a damaged DIS, if that's what it is and hard starting says it might be. And "Artic Silver heatsink coumpound" is overkill, but wth..
You dont own a SC, so how would you know what the common remidies are ????? :confused:

Just put yer distributor in there ... hahaha, sorry that AINT gonna werk, aint is not a real word, by the way .. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Faust-
I just went trough the same exact issues & symptoms. The DIS is Distributorless Ignition System. I replaced the ICM (ign control mod) for $130 and still had the problem. Next I bought a cam position sensor from autozone for $38 and that did it. The cam position sensor is right under the blower snout just to the pass side. I'd try just the cam sensor before dropping $130 on the ICM.
I'm willing to bet that'll solve your problem.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Hi Faust-
I just went trough the same exact issues & symptoms. The DIS is Distributorless Ignition System. I replaced the ICM (ign control mod) for $130 and still had the problem. Next I bought a cam position sensor from autozone for $38 and that did it. The cam position sensor is right under the blower snout just to the pass side. I'd try just the cam sensor before dropping $130 on the ICM.
I'm willing to bet that'll solve your problem.
A 1990 3.8L does have a distributor and does NOT have DIS.

It doesn't have a crank sensor either. The pickup is in the distributor.

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
Just for completeness - the 3.8NA (Normally Aspirated) is distributored, the 3.8SC (Supercharged) has the DIS.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there I was reading your post. I have a 95 sc automatic. I was told to change the ignition control module 1st. Then you said the cam position sensor. Well when you type it in on Google there are 2 that come up. My email is [email protected] if you could send me a picture of what it was and the location thanks. My car runs fine until I want to get on it like stepping on the gas pedal all the way then it runs rough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts