TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ignition Prob...weak/intermittent spark on #4 and #7

This is on a 97 sport. The 4.6 started missing intermittently about 2 weeks ago. It would clear up after running a bit but come back. It got worse. Started pulling wires from the coil and found #4 and #7 with a weak and intermittent spark. Got a friend a the auto parts store so I tried another coil but had the same prob. Spark is weak at idle and goes away above that. Other wires pulled would arc quite a ways before breaking down. Swapped the plug with a good cyl and plugged a new wire in with the same results.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Reading up a bit and it turns out #7 is also getting weak intermittent spark. The ohms check the same on both coils left and right. Does this point to the EEC? My understanding is that the edis is incorporated into it. I looked at Advance Auto parts web and they list an Ignition Control Module for $187...is that the ECU.

I guess I need to bone up on these new fangled computer cars. I sure like the simplicity of my other car.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/ZootAllure/Picture015.jpg

Any input much appreciated
Thanks

I

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
This may not be much help, since all I have is a 1993-1994 Service Manual. I did read through the ignition diagnostics routine, though. There's obviously a lot of electrical testing, which has one ruling out plugs and wires, and the coils. The next target item was the Ignition Control Module.

On the 1994 models, it's a separate module, but, I believe in 1997 models, it's integrated into the Powertrain Control Module (PCM, EEC. ECU, or whatever else stores call it). I'm not 100% certain as I have a 1994 model car.

If you don't mind trying salvage yard parts, you could probably find the engine computer for a bit less at one. Take a look at www.car-part.com for ideas -- or even search near your locality. It may help if you know what the code is on the PCM in your car, also.

Good luck to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts