TCCoA Forums banner

Ignition Q's

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  88TurboCoupeman01 
#1 ·
I need to do a tune up on my Turbo Coupe here is what I am wanting to do.

What should I chose from these parts I want the parts that will give me the best performance. Remiber my car is set up as a street strip car.

Spark plugs

E3 plugs or
NGKIX spark plugs
NGK laser Iridium Plugs.

Coil pack

MSD blaster TFI coil or
Accel EEC IV super Coil

Ignition

MSD ignition 6al or another and if so which one.
Accel 300t Digital Tgntion.

#2 ·
1. motorcraft or autolite

2. stock

3. stock

aftermarket coils are just rewound versions of stockers and MAY give you a single horsepower at higher rpms. aftermarket ignitions...well...just stay away, the little extra spark you'll get arent worth the possible 2hp you'll get overall unless you're making over 30lb of boost and blowing out the spark. That and aftermarket ignitions are WELL known to simply DIE on cars driven even remotely closely to daily...leaving people on the side of the road only to pop their hoods and unclip the aftermarket harness and clip back into factory ignition just to get home. and yes, this is for ALL brands.

best thing you could do for the money is to use the money to go to the u-pull and rip out a ranger cam and rollers, get a remote TFI unit, and a spare head/intake manifold set and then go to harbor freight and get a cheap dremel and hollow out the intake and knife edge the bottom and home port the head and then get a cheap gillis type boost valve and crank up the boost to 20psi.

all this can/has been done MULTIPLE times for the same amount you'd spend on the aftermarket ignition components and will yeild MUCH better results.

oh yeah, NGK's are **** unless you own a nissan or honda...then they become god's own spark plug lol. I swear they are the ONLY plugs I've ever had that wouldnt die horrible premature deaths in those engines.

#3 ·
Here is some edvice

1 Turbo cars are very very like High perforance coils and, igntion boxs. and no nissans and Hondas are not the only that NGk are made.

Saturns are made to only take NGK if u use any things esle than NGk on a saturn u risk blown the plug straight through the hea.

20lbs of boost on a stock internal 2.3 turbo the motor would blow the piston are only made for up to hadle 15 to 16 lbs and for says don't exced 18 lbs on stock internals.

#4 ·
lol, you have no clue what you're talking about. please go type this into a thread on turboford.org so I can watch as you're laughed at. you apparently have no clue what a stock 2.3t engine is capable of.

I mean damn, you come on here asking a question, and then when you get an answer you get all butt hurt and try to act like you already knew the answer to the question you were asking.

I can tell you from experience NGK is pretty much all you want to run in a honda/nissan. I can also tell you from experience you dont want to run them in a ford 2.3t engine. dont believe me?? go right ahead, I dont give a **** what you do. go blow your money on your ignition and $5-a-piece (lol, make sure you go two steps colder oooo) plugs and feel like superman in your not-faster car....until you turn into a turtle when the ignition melts down and leaves you on the side of the road.

I gave advise, you spit at me. go through the school of hardknocks for all I care. have fun.

#5 ·
Ok then stackz what should I run then on plugs, wires and coil and ignition box.

#6 ·
just what I said. stay with the stock components but do the remote TFI conversion to keep it from going bad on you as it is a common problem, and simply use motorcraft or autolite plugs and use the money you WOULD have spent on the ignition components to do the other upgrades first.

I'm not trying to lead you astray I can promise you that. just trying to reroute your money into more worthwhile (and fun) investments is all.

#7 · (Edited)
The only real reason to run an aftermarket ignition system is if the factory system is having a hard time keeping up. Youll run the fuel system out before that happens and you are nowhere near either. With my list im right at the 300 CHP limit of the injectors and im pushing 20#'s of boost out of a t-3. the bottom end of these engines are still solid at around 400CHP some have gone 500CHP but the life of the engine is cut WAY down. There is several people on NATO running 26 to 30#'s of boost on stock engines. Steve Chroma is running 28#'s through a t3/t4 on a 250,000 mile engine, and its his daily driver.

The only real reason for you to get an ignition box right now would be for the 2-step option.

As for plugs, im running NGK Iridium XI's and love them but they were pricy. Something like $7.50 a plug. Cars can be picky about plugs but its an electrical thing. No car will mechanically fail because you changed the brand of plugs. If you have seen a blug blow out and its not an early model 5.4 engine, then the person that put them in screwed up plain and simple.

This should help you get on your way. http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Mods/Mods01.htm

#8 ·
Thanks that help but have u heard anyone running the E3 plugs in there Turbo Coupe or any turboed car. anyone let me know I think of running NGk but still undesiding on the E3 plugs.

#9 ·
Well, I feel that most plugs are a marketing gimic like the Bosch Platnum 4's. Looking at it you think youll get 4 sparks in one, but electricy only jumps from one source to one ground at a time.

E3 plugs, I dont know anything about them and never heard of them untill just now. Looking at their website they have some pretty tall claims in their warrenty statement. Buy 'em try 'em for a week. If you notice something good and can back it up, great! If you hate them, call them up and tell them they didnt live up to their claim and you want your money back.

#10 ·
k thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.