TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my bird to move it today. Turned it off and went to start it shortly after and it wont turn over. Battery is charged and everything is in order but a couple times before I would have to hold the key all the way over like you are going to start it and wait a few seconds befroe it actually would start cranking. Sound like the ignition switch or key and tumbler set? Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
Started my bird to move it today. Turned it off and went to start it shortly after and it wont turn over. Battery is charged and everything is in order but a couple times before I would have to hold the key all the way over like you are going to start it and wait a few seconds befroe it actually would start cranking. Sound like the ignition switch or key and tumbler set? Thanks guys!
On a 95? Search for threads on the linkage coming loose or breaking in the steering column also, but it's that or the switch.

RwP

·
Registered
291 Posts
hey before you tear apart the collumn. check the 2 large wires running to the starter. I had this issue and the wires were grounded out on the engine K member(subframe), they were also corroded inside the insulation and had a lot of resistance.
keep in mind the starter takes more juice to spin than anything else your car has. One last thing to try if the car sat more than a few days the solenoid may be gummed up a little tap the bugger with a long broom handle(no need to jack car up) used like a pool cue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
this happened to me once so far. im gonna go with the switch/tumblers in the column as being the culprit.
you kno when you turn the car off and take the key out n then open drivers door and if you left your lights on it dings? mine dings even when the lights are off! and if i wiggle the key inside a certain way i get it to stop for half a second

1 - 4 of 4 Posts