TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
opinions on after market ignitions vs. oe guys . on my older stuff that's one of the first things that gets changed out . flatty is getting a cut down ch-b-y dizzy with an accel electric conversion , the yblock will be getting something simialar . the new stuff as i said kinda eludes me , never got to immersed in it . i have been looking around here for info on it and in my parts searches ran across many co's claims about how there products are so much better . in this case , my 4.6 i dunno , no viable knowledge base . was looking at some accel products like the ignition module , coils etc. so what say ye ??? wanna spend what cash i alot to it wisely .

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx . it'll stay oe thataway .

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Keep the OEM ignition, works great and lasts forever. The coil pack system is better for durability than the newer COP. The COPs seem to be a problem, and they are more likely to blow a spark plug than with plug wires.

My 95 Town Car w/170k still running the original ignition and wires as far as I know. The plugs were replaced at 100k.

My 95 Tbird w/135k still running the original ignition with new Motorcraft plug wires. Plugs have been changed a few times.

If you need plug wires just get Motorcraft. I had a set of Autozone wires and scraped them after a year.

·
Banned
754 Posts
while we're on the topic, I have been wondering if there are options for "high output" ignition systems on the 4.6. I've read from many that the motorcraft coil packs are far superior to any available, but what about other components of the ignition system.

let's say if one wanted to achieve 350rwhp, what types of things would need to be upgraded as far as the ignition system is concerned?

·
5,650 Posts
while we're on the topic, I have been wondering if there are options for "high output" ignition systems on the 4.6. I've read from many that the motorcraft coil packs are far superior to any available, but what about other components of the ignition system.

let's say if one wanted to achieve 350rwhp, what types of things would need to be upgraded as far as the ignition system is concerned?
Nothing needs to be upgraded. The OEM ignition will take you to 600 rwhp.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The COPs seem to be a problem, and they are more likely to blow a spark plug than with plug wires.
The COPs are an issue IF you have a oil leak with the spark plug tubes. Blowing a spark plug is a sure sign of an improperly torqued spark plug. I'd much rather have the coil pack setup on my gen2 though. COPs get expensive QUICK! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts