TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few weeks ago, I spoke to some mechanic here in VA, where I live and he was telling me that it is illegal (at least in VA) to swap an engine out of a vehicle for another engine that is not supposed to be in that vehicle. Said that it was due to strict emission control we have here and also in relation to good ol' "check engine" sign. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
12,023 Posts
That's a crock o'you-know-what! I highly doubt it's illegal and even if it is who's gonna enforce it?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
in some states it is like that.. if you swap an engine or component into it that is not "factory" it can violate emission law and deem it "race only"

smog-nazi cali is like that.. anything you put on it deems it race only it seems. even says it on most packages.

putting in a explorer motor however shouldn't violate it as it is technically the same motor, just a newer version of it.. now if you did a 351 conversion w/ carb, i could see them complaining

·
Registered
231 Posts
thats why i'm glad i live in a state that doesn't worry about that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
lucky. i can't evem swap in a dohc here in UT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aside from emissions, part of it could be trying to crack down on "stolen engines." To my knowledge there are a fair amount of thefts in VA. (I myself live in MD) The emissions is probably the priamary reason though. But I find it funny that there really aren't any standards for airlines, ever think about how much "stuff" comes out of the back of a 737 during takeoff alone? lol

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Few weeks ago, I spoke to some mechanic here in VA, where I live and he was telling me that it is illegal (at least in VA) to swap an engine out of a vehicle for another engine that is not supposed to be in that vehicle. Said that it was due to strict emission control we have here and also in relation to good ol' "check engine" sign. What do you guys think?
The answer is that it depends on the motor. You can legally swap a comparable engine, or a newer engine assuming you use ALL of the new emission controls. However and older engine is not legal for street use. I always thought this was a Federal law.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i know in cali there very strict on this subject basically i can put any 4.6sohc obd2 multi point fuel injected engine so i can put thew newer pi 4.6 but i cant put in a tbi 4.6

·
Registered
893 Posts
how is it an example?
It's an example (a bad one, but I got it) of how he can't use an older engine with less sophisticated fuel delivery or emissions systems than the original... at least I think.

I think in his head he was seeing a 4.6 with a carb on it, but was thinking TBI instead. I've seen a few people put a carburetor on a 4.6, but a TBI 4.6 doesn't exist.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
It's an example (a bad one, but I got it) of how he can't use an older engine with less sophisticated fuel delivery or emissions systems than the original... at least I think.

I think in his head he was seeing a 4.6 with a carb on it, but was thinking TBI instead. I've seen a few people put a carburetor on a 4.6, but a TBI 4.6 doesn't exist.
TBI stands for throttle body injection and is of general motors design. I know what carb'd 4.6L engines look like.

i know what the regulations are, i am just attempting to sift through the stupid.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The answer is that it depends on the motor. You can legally swap a comparable engine, or a newer engine assuming you use ALL of the new emission controls. However and older engine is not legal for street use. I always thought this was a Federal law.
This is the correct answer as far as I know. In New Jersey the simple rule is that the engine must be of the year body style or newer. So for me it was perfectly legal to put a 95 4.6l DOHC Lincoln engine in my 95 Thunderbird. The irony is the Lincoln was eec-4 obd1 vs the Thunderbird which was eec-v obd2. This was a bit of a weird year due to the federal mandate of obd 2 by 96. I believe this all is outlined in the federal clean air act.

Will

·
Banned
198 Posts
if the car is for OME use it will be hard to get

it by inspections in PA BUT getting other tags like show car or street rod TAGS WILL GIVE MORE CHOICES,,, check local D,O,T, LAWS:eek:

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
what i was saying is ou cant switch engine types. you cant switch a multi point fuel injected engine with say a carb'd engine. its a big no no because of the smog equipment es i realised after posting that my previous example was pis poor but some people got the point. i beleieve i can switch to a dohc 4.6 but then again who knows with cali laws

·
5,650 Posts
California's law states that you cannot swap an engine unless it was offered in that car and is the same year or newer, and all original equipment is retained. For example, my 3.8L to 4.6L swap was legal because it was from another 1996 MN12, and since the 4.6L was an option for the MN12, there is no problem. However, it would not be legal to swap in a DOHC 4.6L because while the displacement is the same, the engines themselves are different (mainly the induction) and this version of the engine was not offered in the MN12. Technically, a full PI engine is not allowed to be swapped into an MN12 here because again, this version of the 4.6L was never offered in an MN12. It is legal however to use an NPI block and build it to PI specs using the internals, heads, and intake because the PI head swap is legal in all 50 states.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
ah ok. that sucks though i would love to have a dohc oh well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts