TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im hating this car more and more evey day. this morning i was driving to the gas station. As soon as i hit 55MPH my back right wheel starts shaking severly.
im 100% sure i got a flat tire, but thats not the case. as soon as i get under 55 it stops. i got home (slowly) jacked my car up. then continued to look and wiggle every thing. i was also comparing it to the other side and i couldnt see anything visually wrong with the suspension or brakes.

1: are my brakes grabbing the wheel?

2: do i have trashed bearings?

how much would new bearings cost me if this is the case?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Last time I had a wheel bearing go out, noise was the first indicator.. if it gets worse, like I let mine before I finally figured out it wasn't wind noise, the rear started to feel like it would sway at higher speeds. Jack the wheel up off the ground, grab it at top and bottom and see if there's *any* play in the whole wheel.. it shouldn't jiggle at all unless you're moving the whole car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also, take that wheel and tire off, and take it to a tire shop and have them spin it on their balancer and take a good look at it.. You could have a broken belt in the tire.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, i just ran into another issue. i was outside removing my wheel. when i noticed one of my lug's are different from the others.

different meaning its round? with no possible way to remove it.
its not stripped it just looks like a hollow cylinder....

i have no clue how this was installed, ive never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
also are you 100% positive the shakeing is comeing from the rear wheel. being a 95 and only haveing a problem around 55mph it could be the infamous toque converter shudder

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was coming from the back right wheel. this wasnt a shudder it was more of a bad shake... i think my cheeks were jiggling. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just took my brother out on a joy ride to show him what was happening and it seems to have stopped for now. i got it up to about 80 somthing and now only the tranny is shaking so im back to normal!! :D

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
So how loud?

Hello

I would look at the universal joints.

So how loud is your car.
Mine has straight pipes. They dump just after the doors.
Big cop attractor. Seems to attract them! lol

Paul

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i made this account with the name loud car i wasnt running any exhaust really. it stopped near the front quarter panels/ doors. some one cut the exhaust out.

she was quite a screamer, i kinda miss it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
im hating this car more and more evey day. this morning i was driving to the gas station. As soon as i hit 55MPH my back right wheel starts shaking severly.
im 100% sure i got a flat tire, but thats not the case. as soon as i get under 55 it stops. i got home (slowly) jacked my car up. then continued to look and wiggle every thing. i was also comparing it to the other side and i couldnt see anything visually wrong with the suspension or brakes.

1: are my brakes grabbing the wheel?

2: do i have trashed bearings?

how much would new bearings cost me if this is the case?
Is the big retaining nut tight? Should be 250 ft/lbs. If its loose get a new one and retoruqe it by hand to that spec. I had a similar problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts