TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went home over the turkey day weekend and did some work on the bird while I was there.

I found out that the bottom of the car was so rusty, we couldn't even take off the lower shock bolt. Needless to say, we couldn't change the lower control arm (anyone wanna buy them :tongue:), we did change the uppers, and those were the whole problem. I also found out that the previous owner did some horrible body work to conceal rust on the passenger's rocker panels, I guess I didn't look hard enough for that before.

I guess that revelation made it easier for my dad to try and talk me out of the DOHC engine swap I had planned (Also might end up for sale).

This time around, I think I'll take out a loan and buy a car that's worth it. I'm half tempted to get a newer and cleaner Mark VIII or Mustang (I really want a manual), but I'm very tempted to go bigger and get an '03 Mach 1 or an '05+ GTO.

So, what do you think? I know this time around I would much prefer a manual to an auto, and more power is certainly better, though I've never had anything with much over 200hp

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get the 06 GTO.....with the 6.0L :)
That's some of the problem. The only 6-speeds I can find are the 2004s. I guess people didn't want to get rid of those 6-speed 6.0's.

I guess I could always get a cheaper mustang and save up for a supercharger...

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
That's some of the problem. The only 6-speeds I can find are the 2004s. I guess people didn't want to get rid of those 6-speed 6.0's.

I guess I could always get a cheaper mustang and save up for a supercharger...

my friends '06 Auto runs 11s N/A :D

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Here's what I think

Don't take out a loan like a yuppie/hipster living w/ his parents

Use cash that you worked for and pay for an another car you can actually afford

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what I think

I'm not too worried about affording it, I'm a fully employed engineer. Granted, I'm not making an amazing income, but I'm making a comfortable living.

The only problem is that I'm only 6 months out of school, and I don't have much cash saved up (after moving, buying needed things, food, rent, car parts, etc). I know that if I sell off my bird and the assorted DOHC engine parts as well as the engine, I should be able to buy something for around $5k, but therein lies the problem. If I buy something cheaper, I'll continually want to buy upgrades for it, and end up broke and disappointed in my vehicle (kinda like I am with my tbird). Though, if I get a better car right off of the bat, I could save up for a house or a better project car or whatever.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Here's what I think

establishing bed rock credit scores are for suckers, right?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
establishing bed rock credit scores are for suckers, right?
you know a good credit score means lots of debt right? if you pay everything cash everytime, you wouldnt need to worry about a fica score, so , i kinda agree that yes credit scores are for suckers lol

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
so, what dohc parts do you have? is it enough for you to do a swap on say a gt mustang? you can buy a cheap mustang in your price range and have a project underway with not much more outgoing funds. btw abondon the chassis! every one else is. my teal 92 is 8# , no more!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
you know a good credit score means lots of debt right? if you pay everything cash everytime, you wouldnt need to worry about a fica score, so , i kinda agree that yes credit scores are for suckers lol
no its doesnt. Mine is over 700 and besides my truck and student loan, my debt is quite minimal. My mothers is close to 800....besides a mortgage and payment on her es-cop-eh hers is minimal.

fico scores are based on debt to income ratios, not debt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
so, what dohc parts do you have? is it enough for you to do a swap on say a gt mustang? you can buy a cheap mustang in your price range and have a project underway with not much more outgoing funds. btw abondon the chassis! every one else is. my teal 92 is 8# , no more!
now there's an idea. I have a complete engine from a 93 mark VIII, so I would need to get a later mark or a cobra intake. The teskid block I have has a couple problems though, a cracked bellhousing bolt hole, and a stuck bellhousing bolt.

However, I do have exhaust manifolds from a cobra...

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
I do konw that most rich people have a credit score of 0. Because they don't need loans, they pay for everything in cash. Which is great if you can be conservative and pay cash for everything as you go, and if you continue to do that, you will one day have quite a bit of cash. Only problem paying cash for everything is that you have no Fico (debt) score, and insurance companies unfairly use your credit score to gauge how much to charge for car insurance.

C.Hill

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
sell the rusty one and buy one with a blown motor or trans, i bought my last bird with a blown head gasket for $300
No kidding???

With a price tag like that on a great car you can fix why would you waste your money and some other car that will one day be worthless as well. Why eat the depreciation??? Cash is king! He who has the cash is king. When people pay with cash all the time they will see their wealth leave their hands and it does encourage conservative spending in that way. I made it a habit to buy food with cash, don't ever want to get stuck with not enough cash for food LOL. Besides, payments suck why do that to yourself. You know a thing or 2 about fixing cars why not put that skill to work for you and save huge money. Out here in Phoenix you want to drive an older car it saves huge on tags and insurance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well if you got the engine, it's just time to find what you want to put it in. Mark, Cougar, Mustang, or another T-Bird. It's all about the body now, because you can find any ragged-out Mustang and do a swap and make it a perfectly fine 'stang for $5k (or less if the engine is blown)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if you got the engine, it's just time to find what you want to put it in. Mark, Cougar, Mustang, or another T-Bird. It's all about the body now, because you can find any ragged-out Mustang and do a swap and make it a perfectly fine 'stang for $5k (or less if the engine is blown)
That does sound like a fine idea, but for $6k there is a very nice looking 94 GT five speed-blue with white stripes with under 100K miles. I could probably try to talk them down a bit, I'm rather practiced at that.

I'm not quite sure what to do with the engine, I'm half tempted to keep it for a different project, but I'm also half tempted to get a project car that's easier to work on (there was a decent looking 64 galaxie fast back on the way to work, but that may have to wait... unless...) The biggest problem with me performing an engine swap is the lack of shop space. We have a full shop with pretty much everything I'd need back on the farm, but that's three hours away.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
...fico scores are based on debt to income ratios, not debt.
Exactly... I'll advise middle ground... get a couple gas cards, or buy an inexpensive car, pay the car off and pay off the cards every month. that establishes your credit and gives you a high score. then pay cash for everything keeping the credit score in case you ever really need to get a loan.

as for the car... I agree; get rid of the rust bucket, get a solid car with a bad motor (or tranny anything to get the price down) and put the parts you've got in it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That does sound like a fine idea, but for $6k there is a very nice looking 94 GT five speed-blue with white stripes with under 100K miles. I could probably try to talk them down a bit, I'm rather practiced at that.

I'm not quite sure what to do with the engine, I'm half tempted to keep it for a different project, but I'm also half tempted to get a project car that's easier to work on (there was a decent looking 64 galaxie fast back on the way to work, but that may have to wait... unless...) The biggest problem with me performing an engine swap is the lack of shop space. We have a full shop with pretty much everything I'd need back on the farm, but that's three hours away.
Keep the engine and grab one these.....

http://tinyurl.com/5fmfwu

http://tinyurl.com/6cftyo

http://tinyurl.com/6yp34g

I bought my bird from Florida. ( a PITA to haul from there but a nice car. ) only cost me $1000

1 - 20 of 34 Posts