TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im fed up with the 3.8 and i have a line on a wrecked 93 cougar with a perfect drivetrain. im going to pull the motor and drop the whole drivetrain in the ol bird. Engine, trans, driveshaft, rear, and disc brakes.

GC
Im done with the 6
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
So you're going to convert to an AOD transmission? That's pretty interesting. I'd just swap to a 4.6 and keep the tranny. But hey it'd be cool to see a 94 5.0
-Thomas
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
By the way, if you want a really custom car PM jturmel. He converted his 92 sport 5.0 to a 4r70w transmission. That's the route I'd go.
-Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the 94 3.8 tranny and 5.0 bolt right up to eachother. i will be swapping ALL of the drivetrain stuff so it should all come out with the harness and bolt right back up with a little fancy wiring. it shouldnt take me more than a few weekends.

GC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
bigbird94 said:
i think the 94 3.8 tranny and 5.0 bolt right up to eachother. i will be swapping ALL of the drivetrain stuff so it should all come out with the harness and bolt right back up with a little fancy wiring. it shouldnt take me more than a few weekends.

GC
nope.. the older (pre 94) AOD's bolted up to the 5.0's. none of the mn12 4r70w's will bolt up to the 5.0.

The AOD will work, he wasnt saying that...its just not as good of a transmission.
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
Well Wes, IMO the stock AOD is way better than the stock 4R70W that came in mn12's. That's not to say one or the other can't be better with a beefed and built up transmission. Anyway, the 4R70W WILL bolt upto your 5.0. The flex plates should be the same bolt pattern but not positive. I know it IS possible though. BUT it will not simply bolt up and plug in. That is just not how it works. There are three ways of looking at it:

You could use the 5.0 computer but it is not programmed for the electronic 4r70w transmission.

You could use the 3.8 computer which is programmed for the 4r70w transmission but it would NOT work with the 5.0 motor.

get a computer and all engine/transmission wiring from a 1995 Mustang GT. The 95's had a 5.0L engine with an AOD/E transmission which was electronically controlled and somwhat identical to the 4r70w and with a performance chip from one of the know-how guys, ie: Dennis Reinhart, Apten-US, it will run properly.

This engien swap you're attempting is a clash of two different worlds. This is why it's so complicated.

-Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Wouldn't swapping bellhousings solve the swapping problem. also, the mount for the trany and teh drive shaft length will probably also need to be modified. But im just guesing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wait, so why is this so complicated? I cant pull the whole harness and all the driveline and swap it in???? it doesnt sound so complicated and my engine builder said it can be done in one or two weekends. I trust his judgement as he has done this before. not trying to be mean to any of you guys, you all know ALOT of stuff too.i need some sleep, got schoo tomorrow, err today,err in afew hours, im gone
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

GC
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
anomnity said:
Wouldn't swapping bellhousings solve the swapping problem. also, the mount for the trany and teh drive shaft length will probably also need to be modified. But im just guesing...
Weswing corrected himself, the bellhousing are the same like I stated. Another thing I thought about, is that the 4r70w from the v6 would not hold upto the 5.0.

Yup, the AOD and 4r70w driveshafts are a different length.



bigbird94 said:
wait, so why is this so complicated? I cant pull the whole harness and all the driveline and swap it in???? it doesnt sound so complicated and my engine builder said it can be done in one or two weekends. I trust his judgement as he has done this before. not trying to be mean to any of you guys, you all know ALOT of stuff too.i need some sleep, got schoo tomorrow, err today,err in afew hours, im gone
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

GC
Well yes, you can swap in the ENTIRE drivetrain. like, engine to halfshafts. Pretty much everything. And the entire wiring harness with computer. If you really want to go through all of that then go for it. It's deffinetely possible, but it will not just be "a few weekends." I was just telling you all of your options.

-Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
The flex plates should be the same bolt pattern but not positive. I know it IS possible though.
the bolt pattern should be the same, but you might have to worry about the imbalance and the torque conveter mounting
You could use the 3.8 computer which is programmed for the 4r70w transmission but it would NOT work with the 5.0 motor.
isnt it possible to get a stand alone computer for the 4r70w?
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
TBird232ci said:

the bolt pattern should be the same, but you might have to worry about the imbalance and the torque conveter mounting

isnt it possible to get a stand alone computer for the 4r70w?
the TC will mount that's nothing to worry about. And I think a standalone computer is more work than he's looking for.
-Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep definatly more work and $$ than i am willing to invest at this time. I know that the whole swap is going to take some finess but i am only 16 and i got alot of time on my hands, and friends willing to help me on this project. I also got 2 hydraulic lifts at my auto shop class that i can use when i need them. Ill probobly do the initial swap of major componants there and then use my car trailer to transport the cars and guts back and forth. ill get it done and maybey sometine you guys will see it. Im hoping to be able to part out the old engine and the intereor(sp) of the cat and the rest of the stuff i dont want. A new semester and already a reaserch paper ahhahhhahahah:D talk to you guys later

GC
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top