TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car wouldnt start a few wks ago. I gave it hot shot from my other car and it started fine. I noticed the batter terminal was cracked so I assumed thats what killed the battery. I replaced the terminals, it started up right away. I tested battery and alternator with my volt meter and both were fine. (they should be, both are only 2-3 yrs old) Drove it a few days no problems.

Just went to start it up and it wont start again. I have power...dash lights, and radio, and ding, ding, ding open door noise is there but she wont start. There is nothing when i turn ignition.....not even a rr...rr...rr. Is it safe to assume its the starter before I replace it (even though the starter was just replaced in 2009 and I dont even drive the car that much)

thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
What happens to the interior lights when you turn the key? Did you check for voltage on the trigger wire at the starter from the ignition switch when the key is at start?

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens to the interior lights when you turn the key? Did you check for voltage on the trigger wire at the starter from the ignition switch when the key is at start?
All the interior lights work...dash lights, radio, etc. I didnt look at the dome light on the ceiling if thats what you mean. Im going to jack it up tomorrow and check out wiring around starter. I was thinking though....if it was the starter itself or the wiring around it, why does it start if I give it a hot shot?

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
I was thinking though....if it was the starter itself or the wiring around it, why does it start if I give it a hot shot?
Higher voltage penetrates insulators/shorts/corrosion etc. easier.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Higher voltage penetrates insulators/shorts/corrosion etc. easier.
thats cool. Im gonna give it another hot shot tomorrow just to get it started so I can drive it up on the ramps and check it out. I hope its something small. Im supposed to meet my friend Sunday at MIR and run some passes.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, almost got the starter off but it got dark and last bolt i didnt get to. As for the trigger wire, does that run into the red positive wire on the front of the starter towards the top?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts