TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 cougar 3.8 and at idle the car drops down to around 550 rpms and the entire car starts radling. when i turn my sterring wheel at idle holding the break the car makes a large rumbling sound and shakes more. it is probably a sensor problem anybody know which one or if its something else???

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Your Idle Air Controller may be going bad. If that valve doesn't work properly, you don't get enough air to idle properly. It is an easy replace, just remember to get the right gasket with it.

I'd also check out your power steering pump. Is the PS fluid black?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
when you turn the steering wheel it puts a lot of drag on the motor, so having the idle drop while turning the wheel is normal. The only reason it's making the engine shake is because your idle is lower than it should be already. I would also lean towards the Idle Air Control (IAC) being bad. You can try unplugging it while the car is at idle and seeing if the idle gets better or worse. If it gets better or doesnt change then it's bad.
-Thomas

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are codes that it may set though the probability is pretty slim. The only reason I say this is because I have never seen these cars throw a code for that, though that doesent mean much either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts