Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..figuratively.

I went down to the local bicycle shop today after work, real good local people who know their stuff and have prices as good or better than I could on the net. I went in for an $800 bike, and am just now finding out after some research online that they sold me a $1500 bike for $800. It's the same model, but I was only willing to spend for the "base" model, and I got the Competition model. Kinda like if you went to the ford dealer for a mustang v6, and drove away in a GT500 for $25K. It was labeled correct, but priced wrong. One person made the mistake, and no less than three others didn't catch it.

I thought about keeping it for a few minutes, but decided that not only do I not feel right about it, but the Competition version is probably going to be a lot less reliable due to having a lot of lightweight parts, from the thin chain to the cassette (rear gears) being drilled out, to the wheels having nearly half the spokes.

Here's why I'm kicking myself: I wanted to start riding this weekend, but since I decided to take the bike back, I also don't feel right riding it knowing it's going back.

Finally to the poll! Please vote for what YOU would do. Names will be hidden.

Keep it (Assume you wanted a competition bike)
$1500 (Try to return at $1500, buy $800 bike)
$800, kickback (Return at $800, but ask for something in return)
$800, Thank you (Return at $800, expect nothing from them but a "thanks for being honest")

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
So, you got a good deal, whats the problem? Honestly it's probably a better bike...I would assume that those parts are built to take more of a beating...on a bike lightweight isn't necessarily worse...

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
ever hear of karma. stuff evens out if you know yir doin wrong. so if yir doin wrong maker wright and one day you'll make a similar mistake and then you'll be out a bunch of money. there was a time i used to always shop lift but around that time i always lost money. i quited that and i didn't lose money anymore .

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't a close-out model? We're selling the Pioneer Elite plasma Pro-1150 for $2300 down from $3500. A guy I work with got the employee cost of $1600. We bought them cheap and still mark them up. I wouldn't worry about it. If nothing else, sell it on Craigslist and get your $800 bike. :D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
imo.. sell it for $1500 and build you own bike for half that.. its not that hard and that way you KNOW what you put into it..

http://www.danscomp.com/index.php?cookiereload=yes

some of the best bikes ive had were built with parts from these guys.. try it out

·
Registered
202 Posts
always rember karma it will come and get ya!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Keep it, their mistake not yours. It's their job to sell bicycles, and probably parts. If they don't know the proper price of a product, then that is their fault. You didn't do anything but buy a bike at the price they were selling it.

And danscomp ftw

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Their a bike shop, they know bikes, so they knew what they were selling if it went through 3 people.

Keep it and enjoy it, unless you'd rather have the $800 bike. If anything, the higher end bikes and components are more durable. Unless you're a clydesdale, you should be fine with the lighter wheels.

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
One time I was in a convenience store and I bought a soda and something else, it came out to about $4. I handed the girl at the register a $10, and she accidentally hit $20 on the register instead of $10. She hands me back $16, and I say "you gave me too much money" and hand the $10 back. She says "no I didn't, see, it says $16", to which I say "but I only handed you a $10, not a $20", and she says "but it says $16 on the register so if I take that $10 back, it will be off". At this point I say "OK" and walk out the door, having made $10 on her stupidity. I would have felt bad about it, if I didn't say anything, because it could be an honest mistake, and I don't want someone getting in trouble needlessly, much less profit off of it, but when they are stupid and beligerent, then that's the owner's loss for not hiring smarter people. Where you are at right now is you have just been handed back $16, and you haven't said anything yet. To be fair to the shop, you have to at least give them the opportunity to fix their mistake. If you explain to them what happened and the differences and everything, and for some reason they refuse to admit that they made a mistake, then you can say "screw it, I tried, they should have hired smarter people" and not feel bad about it, but I would at least do that before effectively ripping off the local shop for $700. That's the way I see it anyway.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I agree with Mad!! I've gotten too much change, told the cashier and got the same reaction as Mad did. I'll try to correct their mistake, but I'm not about to fight them over it.

The funny thing is, they're so used to people trying to confuse them into being cheated, they can't get it through their head what you're trying to tell them it seems.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do what you would want done to you.

Do what it seems most don't know what to do.

Do the right thing

$800 and thank you.

No offense, but I would not have thought twice about something like this.

Mitch

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
I'd ride it this weekend; If you must, go by the shop, and talk to them.

Tell them that you think the bike is worth more than you paid for it.

See if they made a mistake, and sold you the wrong bike, or gave you a great deal. If you are someone that brings them business, maybe the owner did it on purpose. Sometimes Karma rewards instead of punishes... :)

See where it goes. You have done nothing wrong; best case, they can ask to buy it back for what you paid. A judge would laugh at this, if they tried to make trouble.

You paid for a bike; I'd ride it. As long as you didn't swap the price tags, it's not your problem; if the invoice has the model number and serial number of what you actually bought, it's yours, Legally.

I'd rather have the better bike; parts drilled for weight are not more likely to break, as long as the guy drilling them knows where; it's just more labor, thus more expensive. Every large bolt or plate on my dirt bike is either drilled, magnesium, or titanium...it's broke me a lot more that I've broke it... ;)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What kinda bike was it, anyway? BMX? Mountain bike? Road bike?
Road bike. I still have a mountain bike from 8 years ago.

No offense, but I would not have thought twice about something like this.

Mitch
The way I thought about it was "How will this make me feel about myself?". I had already decided what I was going to do before posting. I was just interested to see what others would do.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What make? Just wondering 'cause we have a bunch of road bikes sitting around my house (my dad's big into that stuff). I never really got into the sport, but my dad has a spare bike around that's supposed to be mine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts