TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Rekless, figured I'd join up here just for a chance to read up on some T-Bird info.. see what other people are doing and what not. I have a 94 Thunderbird Lx.. one of those special guys who did the fancy 351W swap. And I see my biggest mistake was keeping the ol' cast iron heads according to everyone here haha. I did a decent port and polish on them, so they aren't terrible. But I do have one question.. how helpful would it be if i switched from stock rocker arms to a set of aluminum 1.6 or even 1.7 ratio arms.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Welcome aboard! 351 in a T-bird... you gotta post some pics. Nothing wrong with getting the car running with iron heads, you can always upgrade later if you want.
I read an article in one of the car magazines (I don't remember which magazine, it was over a year ago when I read it) where they put 1.7 rockers in a stock 302 and it had as much effect as putting a slightly more radical cam than stock in it. It's like putting a cam with a higher lift in. Just make sure you check your valve clearance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have some pics eventually here, I'm waiting on a repaint and some new body parts.... I'm at college right now in Greenville PA, and my T-Bird is crippled up at home in Erie PA. She took a nose into a concrete barrier wall back in May 05' thanks to a man yacking on a cell phone who decided to swap lanes without looking. So I haven't had a chance to drive it in almost 2 years now. It's been a long slow process of body work, replacing parts, and trying to find good weather to repaint. I'm still working on getting a new bumper and hood for it so she's kinda nekkid for the time being. So for now I've been driving a 1998 Ford Mustang sixer and my winter car which is a 1995 Ford Taurus. Thanks for the welcome though.. I'll be dropping by from time to time just to read up on the info you guys got here.

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
What head casting did you go with? Depending on the year, some of the stock 351W heads are decent, but some of them are total crap too. Basically anything from the late 70s-early 80s you might as well throw in the garbage, but if you have some E7s or the DOOEs then they should be alright. As for the rocker arms, what cam do you have in there now? The stock rockers are 1.6s, but they aren't rollers, so using those would probably free up a few hp, but not much. The 1.7s will increase the valve lift, so they will give you more power, assuming the heads that you have can flow enough to support that much valve lift. If the heads you have now are stud mounted, then you should get the roller rockers cause you can still use them when you upgrade the heads. If you would have to get pedestal mounted rockers, then you should wait and spend your money on something else cause most aftermarket heads use the stud mount style so you would have to get rid of the rockers for the new heads. I am building a 393 to swap into my 91 cougar right now, so I know the feeling of having not driven the car in so long. I was originally going to just swap in the 351, but I found a stroker crank for $200, which means I had to upgrade my heads and intake and since the motor is completely apart, I converted to a roller cam, then I had to buy some headers for it, and I'm swapping it to a 5-speed at the same time, so basically the simple engine swap just got out of control and now every week when I get paid, half my money goes to engine parts, but I am almost done collecting parts so it should be ready soon.

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
I snagged my heads off of a (I believe) late 80's Ford F-150, so really they probably aren't that great.. and I still can't figure out how I can put pictures up in here haha. I have a tiny picture of my engine in my avatar though, which was a pain in the a** to shrink down to 75x75. I did an engine bay repaint this winter over my break so I had the engine and tranny yanked out. I got a bumper for it, it was rough but not as bad as my wrecked one, did some bumper repair filler work on it and its looking good. I got my tax return money for a new cowl hood, so hopefully once I get all the hoses/lines run here in the next weekish I'll be able to do final prep for paint. The weekend is looking like rain here for that, so i'll have to wait for a good break in the weather.

Basically the 351W isn't anything crazy. It's a 1979 Truck block that my ex-girlfriends father had built up for a friend who unfortunately ended up getting shipped to prison, and then his wife sold his truck and he had no use for the engine. The ex's father did a .040 bore, forged internals, never found out the exact cam grind, and he passed away last year so the world may never know.. its pretty mild though. From the shortblock I went shopping/diggin through the junkyard.. got some goodies like an edelbrock rpm performer intake manifold, scat steel flywheel, 750cfm Holley 4bbl, scp headers, cast iron heads, just picked up a gm style hei distributor which is a bit on the tall side for my liking, deleted the a/c and smog, put on a carter 120gph mechanical fuel pump, accel 8.8 wires, 2.5" custom true dual exhaust with thrush glasspacks...thats all i can really think of at the moment, but its not a bad runner. I dunno what kinda horsepower or 1/4 time it runs.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
suupp

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
hey your in pa! someday when im bored i want a ride in that thing!! more than likely i will never make it. so many things i wanna do....
welcome though!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh nuttin much.. figured I needed a site to lurk around when I'm not busy at RR. And I came to the conclusion that a site full of T-Bird/Cougar/Mark guys isn't a bad place to be haha.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome!

Hey good to have another Erieite here!
Well actually I'm from girard but its close enough.
:p

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts