TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background... my wife and I have been a one-car family for about 3 years, ever since my '99 Intrepid started with a rod knock that I couldn't afford to fix... About a 15 months ago, we got a 2004 Focus Wagon that has been great, but recently we've been feeling the inconvenience of only having one car.

My boss recently asked if I knew anyone looking for a car - I showed a bit of interest and found that he was trying to get rid of his wife's aunt's car. She's elderly and can't drive anymore (well, she's still licensed, but the family agreed it's best that she doesn't). To make a long story short, I'm the proud owner of a 1992 Thunderbird. It's almost completely base, with a basic 3.8L V6 and a pretty crappy radio (no cassette... no cd... just radio). It does have power seats, power windows, and power mirrors, though... Oh, did I mention it has 44,000 miles? Yep, you read that right.... 44,000. This is the fabled, "owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church" car.

Basically, this car is going to be driven to and from work by me (about 35 miles each way), and that's about it. It's a good highway cruiser, so that's ideal. I've had enough of the radio already (had the car for 2 whole days), so I've already ordered a Pioneer head unit and 4 Kenwood 5x7" speakers from Crutchfield...

I do have a very important question, though.

Cup holders -- What are people using to hold their frosty beverages in the summer heat?

(Now that I've got that out of the way... what advice do you have for a new Thunderbird owner?)

·
Formerly known as lfteyechicken
865 Posts
Your lap :D :D :D , no seriously, you can either look into doing the 97 center console switch, ir I would just buy an inexpensive cupholder from any auto parts store...call it a day. good luck with the bird, I hope your time spent here will be useful and informative...good times, and good job keeping it in the ford family.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
He has a 92- you cant do a 97 console switch on anything but a 94 and up. Congrats on the new purchase. For cupholders you can get a DIN sized cupholder thing from a taurus, or basically do something else custom. Might try searching around on the interior forum. Hope to see you around!

-Joel

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
NtenseTbird said:
Your lap :D :D :D , no seriously, you can either look into doing the 97 center console switch, ir I would just buy an inexpensive cupholder from any auto parts store...call it a day. good luck with the bird, I hope your time spent here will be useful and informative...good times, and good job keeping it in the ford family.
he can't do the 97 console swap because he has the old style interior, what i did was get a shorter cup holder and stuck the compartment end under the back seat and had the cup holder part right behind the center console, i'll see if i can find a pic to show you what i mean.

EDIT godspeed beat me to it, but the rest of the stuff still stands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hrmmm... DIN cupholder from a Taurus. That sounds promising! I'm also looking forward to seeing some sort of illustration of what chorizon means, as I'm having a heck of a time picturing it.

I thought of another question... There's some sort of connector poking out from under the dash on the passenger side. It's white, and located all the way to the right side of the car. Is this the ECU diagnostics connector or something else entirely? (flux-capacitor interface?)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Congrats on the purchase :) My wife inherited her grandfather's car. Although it's a tempo it's a 93' with only 30000 miles. He barely drove the little thing. It's a good work car for me though. Good Luck!! Have fun with your Bird :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

There's the taurus Cup holder `mod' (under the heater controls DUH!)
Click here to how it's done

When i got my '96 it was like `ahhh crap.. here we do again witht he damn cup holder thing...' yah there's that in the totally WRONG spot cub holder thingy under the centerconsol lid.. but sheesh... not practical when you have to reach behind/beside yourself to get your drink

·
Registered
294 Posts
You may have issues with wear-in. An elderly person driving to the store or any local in-town driving for 44k miles will wear in the rings at a low RPM and cause a step in the bore. If you take it out and run it up to 5.5k RPM, it could break the top ring land on the piston. That will cost about 2x what a simple rod knock costs to fix.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Use the spot between your butt and you center console for a cup holder. Putting the beverage between your legs is grounds for carpet stains when you back up or hit the brakes. I just recently found that out the hard way when my fruit punch introduced itself to my floor.

OR, the 93, or at least the one I had, had a cup holder (built in) right behind the center console, which was pretty handy. The consoles for those are the same so you could swap one out if you really wanted to. Check the pick-n-pull.

~Chuck

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,395 Posts
whytcolr said:
(Now that I've got that out of the way... what advice do you have for a new Thunderbird owner?)
Yeah, make sure you check out the Massachusetts chapter and don't be a stranger! :D

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts