TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im painting my 92 cougar ls in the spring, most likely in may but i am working out the details now. what i plan on doing is painting the whole thing lime green, and then doing black racing stripes. however this will be my first attempt at racing stripes and i was wondering how wide they should be and how to mask off the rest of the car to avoid getting overspray on the base coat? :zdunno:

note: i am doing the painting myself, seeing as i know how to from when my dad and i did my first car.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
It's so hard to say something nice when you want a lime green car with racing stripes that lays down blistering 18 second quarter mile times. :D

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
OMG I just had a Kool-aide crashing through the wall flash back....

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sir William said:
It's so hard to say something nice when you want a lime green car with racing stripes that lays down blistering 18 second quarter mile times. :D
lmao i set myself up for that

im slowly fixing up the car first, getting rid of the rust and whatnot, plus getting parts is no easy task with an exponentially decaying bank balance. oh well i just need two amber corners and a taillight to come in from alabama(thanks rustyul), as well as a mirror to come in from alaska (thanks aaron_t). i figure once those come in i should be able to do something, maybe

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
lime green only belongs on a mopar with a 440 or a hemi to back it up... even that hot pink is okay when you got power to back it up in those cars.... how about a diff color? and how can you not remember where you park?

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ITHURTZ said:
how about a diff color?
what do you suggest? black or red or blue or a color that everyone else has? just trying to be different...

Sir William said:
It's so hard to say something nice when you want a lime green car with racing stripes that lays down blistering 18 second quarter mile times.
the only reason it was 18 seconds was because my reaction time sucked (almost a second and a half):redmad:

anyway, it will eventually have the power behind it, once i get rid of this tuition and these student loans, and didnt most cars way back when only run 15's in the quarter in stock form? if so im only 3 seconds behind with 2 less cylinders and 208 ci less

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
redneckcougarguy said:
what do you suggest? black or red or blue or a color that everyone else has? just trying to be different...

anyway, it will eventually have the power behind it, once i get rid of this tuition and these student loans, and didnt most cars way back when only run 15's in the quarter in stock form? if so im only 3 seconds behind with 2 less cylinders and 208 ci less
What like the 426hemi, 440, 454SS etc, no they werent that slow

as for color maybe a silvery pearl black? lol i dunno im not good with color, but dont make it a fruit color. Maybe a deeeeeeeeep cherry red

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ITHURTZ said:
Maybe a deeeeeeeeep cherry red
and be like 20+ members of tccoa? no thanks i like being an individual, and red is expensive too

i am good with colors though, i tend to match colors very well

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry if my last two posts sounded rude, and sir william, because i forgot to post this with the other 2 posts that i referenced you, at least i broke 20 :tongue:

as for everyone else to each their own, as i will continue with the lime green paint scheme, considering i have yet to see one in the readers rides area on this site, but from what i can tell white black red grey and blue are by far the top color choices for everyone

·
Registered
303 Posts
Go with a deep silver, have a good amount of flakes in the paint, or a deep marroon with silver stripes,

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
My first statement is this:

Its your car, you do what you want with it and I will be happy to defend your right to do so.

That being said:

I appreciate your desire to be different. I even admire it, particularly in an 18 year old. However there is a difference between being "different" and "ugly". There is a reason why many cars are similar colors or designs. If you want to be different, use various types of paint, pearl, or a candy color, striping done tastefully can make your car an eye catcher without it causing pain to the eyes. Study the cars at various shows for inspiration then use your own ideas to be different but tasteful.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
Well I'll actually answer your question

I painted my 91 cougar black with silver racing stripes. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, I did 8" stripes with 6" in between them. The way I did it to simplify things was I actually sprayed the silver first, then what I did was use fineline tape with the outside edge where I wanted the outsides of the stripes to be, and used masking paper to cover the stripes and painted the whole rest of the car. I sprayed my car in single stage because I am cheap, but if you are doing base/clear, then I would suggest you do it like this.
1)Spray the black base for the stripes
2)Tape off the stripes and mask them
3)Resand anything black outside of the stripes
4)Spray the green base on the rest of the car
5)Remove the tape and paper masking the stripes and spray at least 3 coats of clear on the whole car. This will give you enough to sand smooth the edge of the stripe and buff it so that there won't be a hard line where the stripe starts.

As far as measuring out the stripes, measure the width of the hood, then divide by 2, and put a piece of 1/4" tape there from front to back, then measure from the moldings on the roof, and from one side of the trunk to the other. If you first find the true center of the car, then you can just measure out from there and it will make it very easy to get your stripes straight and even. Just take your time with it, because the last thing you want is for the stripes to be offset, uneven, or misaligned.

Mike

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Traveler said:
However there is a difference between being "different" and "ugly"
yes there is...and ive seen ugly

Traveler said:
If you want to be different, use various types of paint, pearl, or a candy color, striping done tastefully can make your car an eye catcher without it causing pain to the eyes. Study the cars at various shows for inspiration then use your own ideas to be different but tasteful.
not too many shows here in akron but i do look out for shows and i try to attend them whenever i can

and MadMikeyL thank you for answering my question, i appreciate it, and ill probably do your way

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My new paint is "different" without being gaudy or ugly. Factory green color, followed up by some shimmer blue pearl mixed in some reducer, and about 3 coats of clear. It's one of those colors that you know something is different, but you have to actually stare for a while to figure it out, then you see the blue pearl flake. Unless it's really sunny outside, then the car will change colors from blue to green depending on the angle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts