TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide for a while now as to which option for more power out of my '97, and I just can't make up my mind. I've got the following options.

1.) Build up a Windsor motor - I got the engine out of a '97 F-150, as best as I can tell, it's a Windsor motor. Has 80K on it, dropped compression on one hole, believed to be caused by a bad valve.

2.) Get a take-out Explorer motor - I do like the losing 80 some pounds with the aluminum block, but I worry about the strength if I decide to use some kind of power-adder later.

3.) DOHC - The twin-cam swap seems intimidating, but would gain the most increase, right? I've seen these going on ebay every so often for cheap

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the exploder block will handle upwards of 500hp...so, unless you have 20k to drop on a full build, you are alright with the aluminum motor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i'm just like you. i'm not sure what to deside. see my bottom end is already built up, it has manley i beam rods, cobra crank, manley forged .020 over pistons, and a main girdle. i dont really want to spend more money to do one of those swaps. i would say if you want cheaper power do the pi swap with 234/238 duration comp cams, 373's 2800 or higher stall. but i dont know if it would be cheaper to get a full explorer motor or not. this is just my suggestion

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
i'm just like you. i'm not sure what to deside. see my bottom end is already built up, it has manley i beam rods, cobra crank, manley forged .020 over pistons, and a main girdle. i dont really want to spend more money to do one of those swaps. i would say if you want cheaper power do the pi swap with 234/238 duration comp cams, 373's 2800 or higher stall. but i dont know if it would be cheaper to get a full explorer motor or not. this is just my suggestion
You'll need at least a 4.30 gear and a 4000 stall converter to get any kind of response and effectiveness out of that camshaft.
JL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts