TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one suggest an AC powered impact wrench to use for tire changing and rotation? Don't care for the local tire jockeys who go crazy over torquing lug nuts.

·
8,239 Posts
if you torque your lug nuts properly, then you won't chew up so many front brake rotors, and you will avoid high speed vibrations.

JH

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
laminarflow said:
Can any one suggest an AC powered impact wrench to use for tire changing and rotation? Don't care for the local tire jockeys who go crazy over torquing lug nuts.
I'm not sure how good these are, but it may give you some things to consider:

www.harborfreight.com

Use impact as the keyword search, then click on Chicago Electric (under "Manufacturer") - 5 electric-powered impact wrenches are listed

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
IronChopz said:

I'm not sure how good these are, but it may give you some things to consider:

www.harborfreight.com

Use impact as the keyword search, then click on Chicago Electric (under "Manufacturer") - 5 electric-powered impact wrenches are listed
My brother has one from harborfreight. it works well.

Your wheels should be put on with a torque wrench and torqued to 90-110 ft/lbs. If you are using an impact wrench you are just asking for warped rotors.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
I agree with chrisnack...use a regular torque wrench for lug nuts, rather than an impact wrench. Harbor freight has clicker-types for under $20, sometime on sale for half price. I may go get that $50 impact wrench...I have a set of pullies to install, and an impact wrench is required.

Heh heh...my apologies! I was so out of it last night when I did my previous post that "impact wrench for lug nuts" didn't register.

Edit corrected misspelling...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
IronChopz said:
I agree with chrisnack...use a regular torque wrench for lug nuts, rather than an impact wrench. Harbor freight has clicker-types for under $20, sometime on sale for half price. I may go get that $50 impact wrench...I have a set of pullies to install, and an impact rench is required.

Heh heh...my apologies! I was so out of it last night when I did my previous post that "impact wrench for lug nuts" didn't register.
Yeah my brother has their tq wrench too. Not quite as nice as my $100 craftsmen, but i'm sure it does the job.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The torque wrench from harbor freight is ten bucks. It works very well. I use it on my windstar van as well as my t-bird. It even comes with a lifetime warranty and its own case. You can't go wrong. Next time i will order two.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i always remove and tighten my tires with a impact wrench. My rotors have never been warped. :confused: Maybe cause the longest I have kept any car has been 3 years, hopefully the bird will stay longer.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Snap-on makes a re-chargeable, but it's pretty dear. I've got a DeWalt re-chargeable impact I got on sale at NAPA ($230 I think, 2 batteries and a charger). I use it at the track to mount my slicks. I use it to break the lug nuts loose and spin em off, but when I put either the slicks or street tires on, I just spin the nuts snug and tighten them all around with a TQ wrench.

Our rotors are a lot more prone to warping than other cars' rotors are. There so damb small they build up a lot of heat when we stop, especially hard braking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts