TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, forgive the n00b thread on this but I'm kinda sensitive about noise.

The last car I had was all flowmaster'd out and the noise was really annoying-- but the REAL problem was all the unnecessary attention it drew to the car.

I want to improve flow but I'm not sure how much is there to be gleaned off of a stock 4.6L NPI engine or if it's even a restriction.

What would be the best option for keeping noise down while improving flow? The closer to stock Db levels the better...

Should I just have the piping replaced with bigger diameter pipes and leave the stock things in place? Should I remove the resonator chamber thing in the middle?

Your input is really helpful.

I've been ticket free for several years and I'd like to keep it that way, and having quiet mufflers helps me skirt around under the public eye... With this particular car I try very hard to keep up a stock appearance externally.

Best,
Ghost

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
You may try putting an X pipe or a magnaflow in place of the resonator, and then run true duals out the back to the stock mufflers (if you still have em) because stock is really pretty quiet. But you would still get good flow with the X and true duals ans quietness with stock muffs. just a thought.

C.Hill

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had a cat back I had done that was easily as quiet as stock.
Dual in and out 2.5" Magnaflow muffler replacing the third cat setup. Into an X pipe.
Then Dynomax superturbos at the back with Magnaflow 2 1/4" resonator tips.

Its breathed easier for sure but was like stock sounding.
All totalled it cost $600 to do.

Don't use the stock mufflers, they are so restrictive its crazy.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Borla.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mine is pretty much stock and for duals, i went with stock cats up front, 2 1/4" pipes, took out third cat and resonator into stock mufflers at rear. Not bad and i'm sure that removes more than enough restriction on a fairly stock 4.6 and still is fairly peaceful.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may try putting an X pipe or a magnaflow in place of the resonator, and then run true duals out the back to the stock mufflers (if you still have em) because stock is really pretty quiet. But you would still get good flow with the X and true duals ans quietness with stock muffs. just a thought.

C.Hill
x pipe it is with duals.

Best,
Ghost

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I was running true duals with a magnaflow mid mount muffler and dynamax mufflers out back last time I visited u nick. I have since ditched the rear mufflers to increase sound. If you liked how they sounded we could arrange a deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts