TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not interested in high performance or noisier exhaust. But, I'm considering trying to improve efficiency to get better mileage perhaps, while keeping things stock quiet. So my question is..

Would it not make sense to go from 2 x 2" pipes into 1 x 3" pipe to the muffler? The stock setup is a 2" pipe to the muffler. Has anybody done this? I suppose it would require a special resonator, since the cats and resonator come together as an assembly. Are there any 2" to 3" resonators out there that would work?

·
Super Moderator
7,556 Posts
Realistically, the stock exhaust is not a restriction on the 3.8, so if you are looking for efficiency, your money would be better spent elsewhere. Aside from making sure the maintenance is up to date, your best bet for improved mileage would probably be a computer tune, and possibly putting shallower gears in the rear, but the 3.8 is kind of underpowered as it is, so that might make the car unpleasant to drive.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
IMO..It would pefectly fine to open up the exhaust a bit..Like say a 2-1/4" dual exhaust system with a Resonator in the center..

I wouldn't go any larger than 2-1/4" on your stock engine though..

After you've made the exhaust modifications..

If you feel you've lost some of the cars oomph..You could do as Mikey suggested and throw in some shallower gears..Say 3.55's..

Once you open up the exhaust..Keep an eye on your fuel mileage..

A shallower gear generally gives you better fuel mileage around town, but you may lose a few mpg's on the highway..

If you've done any reading on TCCoA, or know anything about the 3.8L's track record..You would know it's known for blowing head gaskets..

Opening up the exhaust on your 3.8L will help prevent that.. ;)

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I went with a factory 4.6 set up from the resonator back and did a muffler delete , I did notice a small difference and its sounds good, not buzzy like a Mustang 3.8 and all parts can be sourced cheap at your local salvage yard.
Here, I will show you a picture... May not bet helpful but it's my favorite one. Thanks for you mad photography skills Ron!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO..It would pefectly fine to open up the exhaust a bit..Like say a 2-1/4" dual exhaust system with a Resonator in the center..

I wouldn't go any larger than 2-1/4" on your stock engine though..

After you've made the exhaust modifications..

If you feel you've lost some of the cars oomph..You could do as Mikey suggested and throw in some shallower gears..Say 3.55's..

Once you open up the exhaust..Keep an eye on your fuel mileage..

A shallower gear generally gives you better fuel mileage around town, but you may lose a few mpg's on the highway..

If you've done any reading on TCCoA, or know anything about the 3.8L's track record..You would know it's known for blowing head gaskets..

Opening up the exhaust on your 3.8L will help prevent that.. ;)

Rayo..
Hmm, the gear thing sounds interesting. I don't do much highway driving, maybe once a month or so in the summer, for something to do. Rest is short trips to work and back in the city and to the mall, etc. RPM never goes above about 2500 in city during normal acceleration. I don't push it for fun, 'cause I wanna keep the car as long as possible and it's a 3.8, so there's no point, hehe

So, will going with 3.55 or 3.73 allow me to use overdrive in the city? Right now, it's border line when it shifts, around 60 km/h and we don't speed more than about 65 km/h. If it shifted into OD at say 50 km/h, that could provide some fuel savings in the city. On the highway, RPM would be say 2300 instead of 2000 at cruising speed, so mileage would be slightly worse, correct? However, being closer to torque peak rpm of 2400 would slightly offset that, due to increased efficiency at torque peak, no? Hmm, might be worth doing....thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts