TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was resuming my replacement job of my intake manifold today when things took a bad turn for the worse.

I had removed the coolant tube in the engine valley and was then working on removing the nipple to the water pump. Long story short, I finally hammered what was left of the nipple (about the size of a thimble) out the front. The piece then fell into a coolant passage just to the left (driverside). This passage is in the area between where the nipple sits and the area of the fan blades for the water pump.

I tried using a magnetic snake to locate it and retrieve it to no avail. I have been looking online in vain for a schematic of the 4.6 cooling passages.

Does anybody know where I can find the route of that cooling passage?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Wow. Fortunately you will probably never have any problems from this. I have seen things get lodged in the thermostat and keep it open. It should be all good.
-Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? You think so? I'm worried that it may move to the water pump. I guess it's too big to cause trouble in the radiator or heater core unless it finds it's way to the water pump and gets busted into a bunch of small pieces and/or destroys the water pump. Or over time I guess it may rust apart into smaller pieces that could migrate to the radiator or heater core. I just don't know. I have never dropped anything into an engine's internals before. I ordered a fiber optic bore scope today on the internet. I've wanted to have one for sometime now for other purposes (routing computer cable inside my office walls) so maybe it will help me locate this thing as a bonus. I found a sale on what looks like an ok and affordable one here if anyone is interested.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947621000P?keyword=47621&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I sure hope someone can post a link to a diagram of the water passages for a 4.6 liter. That would give me a better idea what I'm up against.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have one of those at the shop. The one I have is a pro vision also, but its a few years old. It has two leds at the end and has been handy for finding holes in pistons and looking into oil fill holes. Can someone post a link to the diagrams for a 4.6 liter? Hopefully this will work out good for you!
-Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It went down the driver side.

I talked to a couple of mechanics I know today. They concur with you Rob. They both said they believe the odds are in my favor if I just leave it be. One of the guys does cooling/heating/AC. He said in the old days he saw the old timers knock rusty freeze plugs inside the block when they replaced them.

Since I have a couple other vehicles to use, I think I'll wait until my scope arrives. I'll take a look and if I can find and retrieve it great, if not, I'll go with the audience.:D

Thanks for the opines! :D

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I have no diagram .. the Ford manual only shows a picture of a Square and a few arrows to show the coolant circulation. Basically .. if you dropped it on the passenger side, it will be on the bottom of the Block - somewhere around the Cylinders water jacket. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts