·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Great video. I love the clouds in the sun roof - great view. :tongue:

Congrats again. Sorry to hear you broke something. What do you think it was?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great video. I love the clouds in the sun roof - great view. :tongue:

Congrats again. Sorry to hear you broke something. What do you think it was?
Not sure, it might just be an ignition problem or it could be more serious. Started missing on the top end and was only running on about 5 or 6 cylinders by the end of the pass. Unfortunately I wasn't data logging the pass. Planning to pull the plugs and do a compression test later today and then I'll have a better idea of what happened.

David

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Fun video...thanks for sharing! I hope whatever is wrong is an easy fix.

Russell

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Great video. I've watched it several times. Man that's quick.

Hope whatever happened is not too costly.

To be expected that things break when your car produces enough power to bend time.

I'll be watching for more...

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Nice Run.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Nice job, you are so close to the 9's! Now that you broke it you can dump more go fast parts in her.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Considering how bad the car was missing..That was a pretty good run..

Yeah..Hopefully it's just an ignition issue-->>MSD Box :(

You got all winter to get the bugs worked out..Good luck with that..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Well now we know that our sunroofs don't like 135+ speeds :tongue: lol. Awesome car David, hope you didn't seriously damage anything
Yeah that's a bit unnerving to see. Good thing it takes my car a bit longer to get up to that speed :tongue:
Wow! :eek:

I hadn't noticed that until you guys mentioned it and I watched the video again.

Dave: You might want to look at that before you go any faster. You're about to blow that sunroof out.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
This is just amazing. I'm completely brand new to everything but even I know that was a sick run. Good luck with whatever the problem is, I hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Considering how bad the car was missing..That was a pretty good run..

Yeah..Hopefully it's just an ignition issue-->>MSD Box :(

You got all winter to get the bugs worked out..Good luck with that..

Rayo..
It was running fine on this pass and the previous one, it was on the next pass where it started missing on the top end and stalled just before the return road turn off. Still ran a 10.5 so it wasn't hurt too bad. I've got a spare MSD ignition box, but I don't think it's the problem. I've got some help coming over Wednesday evening to make the trouble shooting go quicker. I'm sure I'll either have it fixed or will know what the problem is by Wednesday night.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! :eek:

I hadn't noticed that until you guys mentioned it and I watched the video again.

Dave: You might want to look at that before you go any faster. You're about to blow that sunroof out.
Yeah it started getting real noisy in the car when that happened and I didn't know why until watching the video. Couldn't mess with the sun roof glass because I had the go pro mounted to it with a suction cup. Might have to add some black duct tape next time I race it.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the video where it broke. Sorry for it being so long. There was a problem with the scoreboard not being reset so I had to abort the initial launch, then after making the pass I lost my phone and couldn't shut off the camera. Eventually I found it in the backseat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRZgiW2lTHg

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found the problem. Broken inner valve spring dampner on #4 intake got tangled with outer spring, retainer somehow partially released the valve and intake valve got hit by the piston and something smashed the spark plug end. Motor is coming out of the car to replace piston and do some valve train upgrades.

David

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Dang. Sorry to hear a valve dropped.

Wish you a "speedy" recovery.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang. Sorry to hear a valve dropped.

Wish you a "speedy" recovery.
It didn't drop fully, but enough to do some damage. From what I can see through the scope the cylinder wall looks fine, so I'll probably just have to replace the piston.

I'd rather it be a mechanical problem like this than one of those ghost like intermittent electrical problems or something goofy with the tune. Truth is, these valve springs were not really up to handling the rpm I was running and they probably should have been replaced/upgraded years ago.

I'll be switching to a set of beehive style springs with lightweight retainers that should be stable at 6800. What I have now was probably only good to about 6300-6400 and I was revving the motor to 6800-6900 pretty routinely.

Considering the time it's going to take to repair and upgrade the heads, it probably won't be back together until Feb. That's okay because I've still got another SC and new GT500 to play with :cool:

David

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,363 Posts
Hehehe... some guys get all the fun. :tongue:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just crazy to see the sunroof lift in both videos and see the sky peek in. I would agree that the sunroof could go on a pass.

Glenn

1 - 20 of 53 Posts