TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Looks good David, looking for some sub 10 slips next year I see? Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Motor is finally back in the car and running, but needs to be re-tuned for more aggressive cam and small increase in displacement. Here are a few pictures and a video taken after initial start. Smoke in video is from header wrap initial burn in and other residue burning off the turbo hot side pipes.

David

·
̇
3,701 Posts
It's nice to see you got her all back together again, and running..I bet you're stoked! :thumbsup:

Post some more vids after you get it re-tuned, and on the street/track..

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Did some work on the 93 SC last night after getting some info from Dan Saitz. At initial start up on video above we couldn't it to rev over 1500 rpms without snapping and popping (aka breaking up). Problem was with the way I had the distributor set. With the Fast XFI and a disabled mechanical advance, the distributor is supposed to be installed with crank at 25 degrees BTDC with rotor pointing to #1 clyinder on compression stroke. I had it set at TDC zero and spark couldn't jump that far when computer would advance the timing. Now it starts easier, revs cleanly and just needs an exhaust leak at one of the v-bands fixed. Here is a video.

David

PS: This car has been sold to Miguel Lopez and he will probably be taking delivery of it within the next month.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry for your loss:frown2:

I've been waiting to see you break 10 seconds. Maybe the new owner will be posting a new number next year.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
David, Congratulations on getting her all fixed up.. :thumbsup:

I'm not going to lie though..I'm disappointed you're getting rid of the ol' girl..

I was looking forward to seeing you do that 9 second pass in her..

I hope it goes to a good home..

I have to ask though, any plans on getting a different car to replace this one?

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
David, Congratulations on getting her all fixed up.

I'm not going to lie though..I'm disappointed you're getting rid of the ol' girl..

I was looking forward to seeing you do that 9 second pass in her..

I hope it goes to a good home..

I have to ask though, any plans on getting a different car to replace this one?

Rayo..
Thanks, I'm also a little sad to see it go but it's going to a good home. Miguel Lopez, the new owner is planning to install a cage and other NHRA safety equipment so he can race it. He's also well versed on SCs and is very comfortable wrenching on his cars, so I'm sure he will get it well into the 9s.

I was thinking pretty seriously about a new Challenger Hellcat with the 8 speed automatic but my wife isn't down for dropping $70K on another car that will spend most of the time sitting in the garage. So instead I may look for a 69-72 restored Mopar (Charger, Challenger, Road Runner, Cuda ect..) in the $35K-$45K price range. I've still got my 91 SC and a 14 GT500, so it's not like I really need another car and can take my time looking for a replacement.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
First time out of the garage under it's own power since breaking the motor in November 2013. Drove it for a couple miles around the neighborhood and everything seems fine. Throttle response feels real snappy and I had a hard time keeping it out of boost. Now I need to charge up the laptop and see if I can remember how to data log it to make sure tune is still good. Big thanks to Christopher Wise for all the help wrenching on her.

David

·
Registered
235 Posts
Congrats on getting it moving again. Cant wait to see more vids of it in action.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Dan Saitz at Hyperformance Road tuned the car Saturday and now it feels much stronger than the old motor, gets into boost quicker and has great drive-ability and street manners.

With the new more aggressive cam, it's breathing a lot better and we had to add more fuel pretty much everywhere on the map. Even with boost turned all the way down, it really rips when you roll into the throttle.

If all goes to plan it will be at it's new owners house in Mission, TX in 10 days.

David

41 - 53 of 53 Posts