TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The intake manifold of my 97 Mark VIII (the off road car) has has these black marks on the intake manifold for a while now. Are they an indication that I need new gaskets on the top and bottom of the IMRC?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking around- if I do need an intake gasket, it looks like the upper gasket has been unavailable for a few years now. I think for what the car is, I'll just leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Looking around- if I do need an intake gasket, it looks like the upper gasket has been unavailable for a few years now. I think for what the car is, I'll just leave well enough alone.
I know the 97/98 Mustang Cobra IMRC is very slightly different in design, but would it's IMRC gasket work for the Mark VIII application?

Would be a good opportunity to upgrade to C style heads and intake manifold if not though, and eliminate the IMRC's entirely.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On rock auto I'm only seeing the lower gasket available for the cobra as well. If anyone can find otherwise, please let me know. This part being unavailable is really unfortunate for anyone with a first gen 4.6 DOHC.

C heads would definitely be the fun answer, but for that car the only plans that I have are bigger tires and MAYBE a novelty low boost twin turbo setup. ;)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
On rock auto I'm only seeing the lower gasket available for the cobra as well. If anyone can find otherwise, please let me know. This part being unavailable is really unfortunate for anyone with a first gen 4.6 DOHC.

C heads would definitely be the fun answer, but for that car the only plans that I have are bigger tires and MAYBE a novelty low boost twin turbo setup. ;)
Have you tried www.supercoupeperformance.com? How about Mustang sites like Late Model Restoration and American Muscle?

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Both sides of the IMRC are available everywhere from rockauto, mmr, napa, carquest, oreillys, advanced auto, autozone listed under intake manifold gaskets and intake plenum gaskets, however if you are looking to replace the gasket from the upper intake manifold (y branch with throttle body) to the lower intake manifold, you will need to trace and cut your own from gasket material since it has been obsolete for a while now. Or you could use right stuff rtv, but you'll likely never get it back apart again as that stuff is tenacious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts