TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for some of you that read, about 3 weeks ago i had a run in with a guard rail in my t-bird, and i really want to save it. Here is the extent of the dammage:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109999

First off, do you think its worth it? The car really means alot to me.

Also, i know how much air bags can cost to get set, but i am not too sure how much for these cars, so if anybody has any info on it i'd really appreicate it.

It's a battle to save it that i'm really losing on thus far, and i have gotten a great deal on some body pieces, but i'm not sure if its worth it. ANY feedback is greatly appreciated, i'd really love to save this one. Not looking to save it for any other reason than it has basically become a friend to me. Thanks alot!!

-Billy

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
That will be an easy fix. All you need is a headlight, header panel, hood, fender, and paint and the outside will look as good as new. As far as the airbags go, find someone on here parting out a 94+ car and take the airbags from that. I had a 94 cougar that I bought with blown airbags, and for under $100 I got 2 airbags out of a car that someone on here was parting out. You don't need to get them reset, just disconnect the battery, remove the old bags, install the new ones, then reconnect the battery. Most of the time this is all you need. If something else in the system is damaged, once you have installed the new bags you will be able to have the system diagnosed and replace whatever got damaged so the airbag light won't be on. That hit isn't anywhere near the airbag sensors though, so they are probably ok.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
It doesn't look like it got into the core support. My question would be if the crumple zone/impact bar is moved around any. My 95 looked like that when my wife parked it in a concrete median and I ended up having to replace the impact bar as well.

On a side note, I always thought that on these cars once the bags deployed you had to replace both crash sensors, the blue module in the pass. side kick panel, and some other module related to the system? Is this incorrect?

Jay

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
If you took the car to a body shop, they would replace everything in the ABS system. The reason for this is not that it is necessarily required, but its a liability issue. If you take your car to a shop to have it fixed, then you crash it again and the bags don't deploy for any reason, they are liable. Occasionally, the current firing the bag is enough to damage the computer, but that actually isn't very common. As for the crash sensors, sometimes they are good after the bags blow, and sometimes they aren't. If they turn out to be bad, it won't deploy the new bags or anything like that, it would just light up the airbag light. If you put the new bags in, and the light doesn't come on, you are good to go. If the light does come on, you have to see what is wrong and replace that component. With that hit, since it isn't anywhere near the sensors, they aren't going to be physically broken, so I would just replace the bags and see if they are ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the body shop goes, it would be a side job with a friend that works at a good body shop, so I wouldn't need to worry about that. Might have a lead on the airbag components i need, and also the body work. I'm crossing my fingers for this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts