TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got the driver side head off with only minor frustration.
The problem I am having is with the passenger side. I can't get the exhaust manifold bolts off where they connect to the cats. They are extremely rusted and will not budge and are starting to round off. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
mini torch, and THIS STUFF

The PB B'Laster is God's gift to frustrated mechanics. The stuff works like magic man, most auto parts and hardware stores should carry it.

First, take a mini propane torch and ehat the bolts up. There are two parts to the flame of a propane torch, the outter light blue, and the inner dark blue. The hottest point of the flame is at the very tip of the inner blue flame. Keep the tip of that on the stud (not the manifold or nut) until it's really freakin hot. I'd say about 5 minutes or so. Then spray B'Laster on it. As the lubricant cools the stud, the metals will expand and contract and the lubricant will get between the threads of the nut and stud. Let it sit for a while, then try twisting it off.

-Thomas

·
Registered
216 Posts
I broke one bolt off with a breaker bar( and took off alot of skin on my right hand) and cut the other one off with a cut off wheel. I absolutely cannot get the drivers side bolt off. the one you can get too came right off, but I cannot get to the other one to even think about cutting it off. If I could get the heat shield off the cat I may have a better chance at it. I'm gunna cut them off tomorrow.

:cool:

·
Registered
216 Posts
couldn't get the heat sheild off, so I cut the one bolt off on the cat. 2 minutes....done.....heads on....torqued down....intake on......getting there. :znanner:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
18" breaker bar & 4# hammer
or
Cut off wheel

When I replaced my engine I used some stuff thats better than PB but is only locally aviable and was able to remove them with only a combonation wrench.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i never removed the headers from the exhaust when i got the heads off...u could try that way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts