TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going pretty well. Ran into a few snags. I'm mainly using the swap article from modulardepot and print outs from my ford cd.

Major differences, tbird engine doesn't have ANY room on the passenger side, there are 4 bolts on the valve cover that are a PITA in to get to, the only way I could get them out was to use a universal joint socket, a regular socket with a universal joint wouldn't work. (Had to drive all over town trying to find one).

The bolt on the oil pan closest to the passenger side ( of the 4 you have to remove) is right above the sway bar. So i have to unhook the front sway to get at that bolt.

My engine is in pieces at the moment... I quit for the day.. gotta do the timing in the morning and put everything back together and then check out the improvement.

I took about 50 or so pics today, so i'm intending to do a write up for tbirds specifically once i'm all done and have the time.

Chris

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
It's strange...

When I did the headswap, I noticed some interference with the furthest passenger side oil pan bolt, but I had no serious problems getting it out. Maybe because I had the car on ramps instead of jacking it up???

Also - somehow I got the valve cover bolts out without using a universal socket. I did use a joint and various extensions, though.

Hope your writeup is informative. Here's mine on the headswap.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I do have a question about timing...

According to the ford cd you can't rotate the crank or cam (with chains off) or you'll "jump timing" I would assume they are simply referring to being out of time (marked links on chain aren't matched up).

I have one of the cams already in... didn't have time to get the second one... so to get the timing for that one right I ahve to take it back off to get the links lined up???

I would think it's doesn't matter if you turn the crank or cam seperatly in order to get the timing correct. AKA, can't I just turn the crank a little bit to get it to line up with the proper link, since I have the cam on the proper link right now???

Hopefully I'll have an answer on this by the morning... and hopefully this question makes sense...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Embalmer said:
It's strange...

When I did the headswap, I noticed some interference with the furthest passenger side oil pan bolt, but I had no serious problems getting it out. Maybe because I had the car on ramps instead of jacking it up???

Also - somehow I got the valve cover bolts out without using a universal socket. I did use a joint and various extensions, though.

Hope your writeup is informative. Here's mine on the headswap.
Yeah coudl be.. I jacked it up, left side first.. maybe that did it...

Lets just hope I remember where everything goes in the morning! :)

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
chrisnack said:
Actually I do have a question about timing...

I would think it's doesn't matter if you turn the crank or cam seperatly in order to get the timing correct. AKA, can't I just turn the crank a little bit to get it to line up with the proper link, since I have the cam on the proper link right now???

Hopefully I'll have an answer on this by the morning... and hopefully this question makes sense...
All I know is the crank keyway should be at 10:30 when attempting to set the chains. The Ford CD should be of great help here.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
how did everything work out? notice a big differance in power?

Frank

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fdawg97lx said:
how did everything work out? notice a big differance in power?

Frank
Haven't really hammered on it yet... i'll let you know soon... trying to make sure things are ok first :)

Had an interesting experience when I first started it up... there was a twist tie in one of the spark plug holes, so i didn't have the plug in al lthe way... so i'm standing by the engine revving it and all the sudden the spark plug flies out.. yeah, that was loud and not cool.. scared the **** out of me.. :( But, no big deal, glad it came out now as opposed to later when i'm driving around. (it was the last plug i put in and basically the last bolt... after putzing all weekend... that's my story :) )

I have to replace a end link on teh front sway, I had to unbolt the sway to get at the oil pan bolts, and it won't tighten back up now... so yeah.. that blows...

Anyways..

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
chrisnack said:

Haven't really hammered on it yet... i'll let you know soon... trying to make sure things are ok first :)

Had an interesting experience when I first started it up... there was a twist tie in one of the spark plug holes, so i didn't have the plug in al lthe way... so i'm standing by the engine revving it and all the sudden the spark plug flies out.. yeah, that was loud and not cool.. scared the **** out of me.. :( But, no big deal, glad it came out now as opposed to later when i'm driving around. (it was the last plug i put in and basically the last bolt... after putzing all weekend... that's my story :) )

I have to replace a end link on teh front sway, I had to unbolt the sway to get at the oil pan bolts, and it won't tighten back up now... so yeah.. that blows...

Anyways..
if i do get to keep my bird, i plan on doing the cam swap. how hard would u say it is. do basic bolt on stuff but thats about it. i never took the front cover off an engine before. I did do the jmod with a friend and i didnt think that was as hard as it seemed. thanks.

Frank

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fdawg97lx said:

if i do get to keep my bird, i plan on doing the cam swap. how hard would u say it is. do basic bolt on stuff but thats about it. i never took the front cover off an engine before. I did do the jmod with a friend and i didnt think that was as hard as it seemed. thanks.

Frank
I had never worked on a tranny until i did the j-mod.. and htought that was easy as pie..

Never ripped apart an engine before this weekend.. it was easy as well...

I've never not been able to do something ;) It was a tedious process.. make sure you have alot of tools... i had to run out and buy a few...

I had some probs with the passenger valve cover, and those oil pan bolts... otherwise not too bad..

I just got back from IL, drove 100 miles.. so cams are definetley fine...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Palmguy said:
Your impressions on the power increase?
Noticable. Power band seems smoother and slighty longer. But it's not like throw you back into your eat power increase. Hard to say, I'll see what I end up with on the dyno, that's the true test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts