TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some honest opinions..

My Bird went into the repair shop for some rear end work. We attempted the repairs (subframe bracket, springs, shocks) ourselves but when we tried to get the subframe bolt out, it busted the head off. We knew our limits, so we took it to a very trusted mechanic that is by my house. We have been dealing with him for about 8 years now, he is a straught talker that has been in the business a long time.

When I called, he said that the channel is completely rotted out. He is calling a body shop to see what he thinks. Now that I have the body shop involved, I am not feeling too good about the whole thing. I have a limit of what I can spend and if it goes over that limit, I am not sure what I will do. He says "Whatever we can do, its better then thowing the car away".. Anyway, he is supposed to call me back.

I am looking for a plan B.. I do see some Birds for sale locally but a lot of them are V6s. Is it feasible to buy a V6 and turn it into a 8 with my good engine and trans? There is one on Craigslist that doesn't run for $450, but it could have similar issues or worse.

If the guy comes back and says $2000 or more, what would you do? Otherwise, the car is good mechanically. Body wise, it shows a 14 year old car with some "body work" on it. The Interior is complete and looks very nice. The car has less then 100K on it. I have about $2000 into it already.

Thanks! :(

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just got off the phone with the guy fixing my car. He is trying to get a new mount, hopefully one that is brand new to complete the repair. He says the more he drills on that bolt, the more rust is coming off. He says that it can go one of two ways:

1) Gets a brand new part from Ford and have everything bolt up
2) fabricate a clean part and do some welding which will cost a bit..

He says the car is not a total loss, he commented on how the front end looks a heck of a lot better then the rear. We are waiting to hear back from the body shop to find out what our next step is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
that"s a crappy feeling i'm sure..... i hope everything works out for you and your bird.
i'm taking mine in next week for the dreaded front end inspection.:(

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, an update and more advice needed (maybe this needs to be moved now)..

He is going to drill a hole to get to the broken bolt and then weld some metal to cover the hole. Then he says to not do any more work under the car due to the rust issues. He doesn't want to replace the springs, or do the other bracket at all fearing that more things will break.

If I can't do work to the car, I am not sure if I want it anymore. I can sell it as a driver for a good price and cut my losses. Maybe I can find something else that isn't as rusty but I bet it would be the end of V8 power for awhile. :(

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Tell him not to weld a patch back on the hole that he cuts out, and it should be problem solved. What happens is the cage holding the nut in place rusts out and breaks, and then the nut just spins. Once you do the hard part of cutting the hole so you can get a wrench on the nut, then you are good to go. Also, once this is done, you really shouldn't need to drop the rear subframe ever again, so it shouldn't be a problem changing out springs or control arms, or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been going back and forth about selling it vs keeping it. Since I have so much new things on it already, I am going to keep it and get my moneys worth. It will get the new suspension but it will not be going all out.

It would be bad to throw away all the tires, ball joints, battery, pulleys and some of the other odds and ends. I can drive it in the summer, enjoy it and then put it away. Its a heck of a lot easier to move the kids and the Wife around then trying to do it in the Ranger with a standard cab!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Not T-bird

Hello

you know that doesn't look like T-bird parts. Simular.

The bolt broke right? You don't need a big hole. I replaces the nut on my car after my bolt broke. use a 1 3/4 in hole saw.

Mine broke do to contact.

My Question is why are you removing that bolt to swap springs???

Unbolt:
sway bar
lower knuckle bolts
lower shock bolt.
(don't have an e-brake so can't comment about it)

I use 3 jack stands. 2 under frame & 1 for brake hub.
I would soak all nuts & bolts, But I think i'm too late there.

Too bad your not closer. I have most of these laying around. spare parts.
stock car racing in a full contact sport.

Paul

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was replacing the subframe bracket (the piece of metal that goes between the chassis and the subframe.) The guy at the shop suggested that I leave the rest of the area alone due to to the rust.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have seen

Hello

Yes I have seen these brackets rotted out.

My buddy & I got a set for his car, But never put then in. Something else broke, So he gave it to me.

This is what was left of it!

NEVER LEAVE A T-BIRD UNATTENDED IN MY DRIVE WAY!

Paul

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Carnage! :(

Some good news today, apparently, there is enough metal there to do the repair. He found some good metal to attach the brackets on. Hopefully we will be back in the driver seat with the car soon.

I didn't take my car to a place known for this type of work, so the repair has a little more drama to it. He is a nice guy and knows his stuff, but he needed to take a longer look at things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts