TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing a pi cam swap but does my 94 lx has bolt on cam gears? I did it in my old cougar but dont want to go through all the work if they are solid cams.
I like the short cut route.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
In before the lecture.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Why not? I thought 94 95 heads were same as 96 97, just different intake
The ports are the same, but the valve spring installed height is different. The added lift of the PI cams will cause coil bind in the 94/95 NPI heads.

·
Super Moderator
17,043 Posts
Why not? I thought 94 95 heads were same as 96 97, just different intake
The 96 heads were updated with beehive springs and deeper seats, which accommodate the PI cams(PI heads carried over these changes), 95 and earlier heads have shallower seats and shorter springs, so any cam with a lift higher than the factory npi cam will cause the coils to bind. Only way around it is to swap heads to 96+ npi or PI, or swap motors.

The ports are the same, but the valve spring installed height is different. The added lift of the PI cams will cause coil bind in the 94/95 NPI heads.
Beat me to it. The ports are actually different though, the shape at the flange is the same and the difference in performance is negligible, but 91-95 heads have a kink inside the port like PI heads do, rather than the straight tunnel-port like shot to the valve like the 96+ npi heads.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that sucks. My car is stuck as modded as I can get it then,except for nitrous I would be scared to procharge it then,
Maybe its time to save for a complete pi engine .

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Well that sucks. My car is stuck as modded as I can get it then,except for nitrous I would be scared to procharge it then,
Maybe its time to save for a complete pi engine .
Why not get some PI heads out of a junkyard? Any Crownvic 2002+, 1999-04 Mustang GT's, Not sure on the year but 4.6 Ford F150's or Explorers, all use the exact same heads and cams.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Not exactly the same, 99-00 Mustangs and many of the truck 4.6s use the Windsor cast heads, so you're stuck with the windsor style valve covers with the pass side oil fill - which IME is not friendly with GT intake tube and A/C line fitment.
True, I didn't think of that.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ha head swap is something years down the road for me, thispoint I can't afford this after spending all I did replacing glass and finishing my 98 style performance upper end....I would trade never used 75mm throttlebody with all mounting hardware and a dual programmable superchips eliminator ecu chip. Trade them for a pi intake and valley tube and nipple and alternator bracket.
Id sell the items too, also have my stock 95 intake a,d plenum and throttlebody , fuelrail and injectors. Good for a nitrous car.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Not exactly the same, 99-00 Mustangs and many of the truck 4.6s use the Windsor cast heads, so you're stuck with the windsor style valve covers with the pass side oil fill - which IME is not friendly with GT intake tube and A/C line fitment.
Not to mention, blown out spark plugs. lol

I'd look for heads with the full spark plug threading.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pi heads wouldn't be out the queston but last pi swapped car I had the gains were barely knowticable so too much work for little gains. Plus i plan on getting rid of this car for a96to98 mark8 or 32v mn12 or even a 96 plus mustang gt

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Not to mention, blown out spark plugs. lol

I'd look for heads with the full spark plug threading.
As long as you torque them to spec (14 to 17 lb ft, not the old school Tight plus half a turn), you'll never have a blowout.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Pi heads wouldn't be out the queston but last pi swapped car I had the gains were barely knowticable so too much work for little gains. Plus i plan on getting rid of this car for a96to98 mark8 or 32v mn12 or even a 96 plus mustang gt
Was it tuned?

I had a bone stock 4.6, and currently a PI Swapped one that is being upgraded to an Explorer block, ported heads, S2 cams, Kooks, etc.

There was a significant performance difference between the standard NPI and the PI swapped motor.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya it was tuned.it was if I remember correctly only like 15.3 in the 1/4 mile and stock it was 15.8 and with the pi stuff it also had an exhaust and 70mm intake setup

·
Registered
284 Posts
what I noticed with my cougar with the pi intake and heads it seemed to waken up some. I also going to beef up the trans to help it shift better to match the engine. granted automatics never perform as well as a 5 speed. but I know the mustang i have is also a ramero as well i know they came with both ramero and Windsor which makes it a little tricky on finding some ramaros off of one. but if you find a app on your phone that can run a vin on a car that you are going to pull the heads off of or find a u pull it that can spusificaly tell you what type of engine it has that would be a bonus. the u pull it i go to once in a while they actually get the spusifics of there cars. that's a rarity

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I would hope that PI heads and intake should wake it up some!

What is a ramero? A Camero with ram air?

Al

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Ya it was tuned.it was if I remember correctly only like 15.3 in the 1/4 mile and stock it was 15.8 and with the pi stuff it also had an exhaust and 70mm intake setup
Well, you're talking 30 or so more rear wheel hp with a good tune, so without much else (torque converter and rear gears) I wouldn't expect it to go dramatically faster. I believe mine was somewhere in the high 14's with full 2.5" exhaust, Mark VIII TC and 3.73:1 gears while under Traveler's ownership. I expect a little more out of it now with the full PI engine, ported heads, stage 2 cams, 75mm throttle body and accufab inlet elbow, and a good tune, but I don't know where that will put me in the 1/4, I'm not that into times.

All I car is that it runs and feels fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts