TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering... i was reading that if you put a 02 explorer motor in a 96-97 bird you have to change some stuff around. Yet if you put it in 94-95 bird it is pretty much a simple swap? I just wanted to know if you do have to change things, what does needed to be changed in the 96-97 bird to allow a 02 explorer motor to fit? Oh whay i am at it does the explorer motor conatain any forged parts and what is the rev capabilities on the explorer motor?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
you got it all back akwards, its much easier to swap into a 96-7 car than a 94-5 in a 6-7 just modify the motor mounts and swap over all the stock tbird topend stuff and your good to go.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
you got it all back akwards, its much easier to swap into a 96-7 car than a 94-5 in a 6-7 just modify the motor mounts and swap over all the stock tbird topend stuff and your good to go.
Keith, On the '02 Exploder swap it's an Alum block and on those cast's (like my '01 Cobra block) the motor mounts do not need to be modified to fit. The problem the 96-7 guys will run into is that their front cover won't bolt up it shares the older bolt pattern and I doubt you'd want to use the Exploder belt setup!

A couple other good things that make the Exploder motor a good swap for MN12's is that the TB adapter already has a fitting for the brake vac line, 6-bolt mains, and the EGR tube will connect to the MN12 exhaust manifold (Great news for 94-5 guys).

The RPM limit is not increased (you'd need HD valve springs) and does not come with Forged internals.

-Scott

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I just put an 02 Mountaineer/Explorer motor in my 96 sport. All I needed was a front cover from a 94-95 tbird/cougar which I got from the junkyard for $25 and some misc gaskets. You will use the exhaust manifolds, oil filter adapter, motor mounts, fuel rails, and wiring from your stock setup.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
It seems like almost a even trade off for either a 94/95 using it or a 96/97 using the motor. Us 94/95 people will have to get stuff like fuel rails and I think there was another thing or two from 96/97 we need. But the 96/97s have those and need a front cover from the earlier engines. So it seems like a decent swap for any 4.6 tbird or cougar. A local buddy here is doing a swap soon in his 94. He already has the engine. I am going to take pictures and maybe tape some of the swap.

-Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts