TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Equivalent of half a bottle of 50% saturated solution of NaOH pour over my arm and legs at work this morning. All I know about it is that it was in a saturated solution at 50% (like I stated already), had a Corrosive sticker, and that my legs are starting to hurt. ****ing management can rot in a very unpleasant place.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
you need to see the Workers Comp Doc NOW......
What he said!!!

Solid sodium hydroxide or solutions containing high concentrations of sodium hydroxide may cause chemical burns, permanent injury or scarring, and blindness.

Solvation of sodium hydroxide is highly exothermic, and the resulting heat may cause heat burns or ignite flammables.
-Joel

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I'd goto the emergency room first. Ditch your clothes, and worry about the workers comp later once you know your OK.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Situations like this are why we have hospitals. Get checked out ASAP. What did they have you do just wash up with some soapy water and go home?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'd goto the emergency room first. Ditch your clothes, and worry about the workers comp later once you know your OK.
Exactly. Worry about money and claims and stuff like that later. My biggest worry would be how long am i going to have to wait in the emergency room with chemical burns before they examine me and actually do something about it...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Get the MSDS (material safety data sheet) from your employer. It should be on-file and it is your right as an employee to have access to this information. If they say no or do not have it...tell them to get there crap together or you will call OSHA. I just did some air sampling for sodium hydroxide at a tool manufacturer, but do not recall the health hazards of it.

I just did a quick search...

Appearance: clear, colorless. Danger! Corrosive. Causes eye and skin burns. Causes digestive and respiratory tract burns.
Target Organs: None.

Potential Health Effects:

Eye: Causes severe eye burns. May cause irreversible eye injury. Contact may cause ulceration of the conjunctiva and cornea. Eye damage may be delayed. Causes redness, pain, and irritation.

Skin: May cause deep, penetrating ulcers of the skin. Causes severe burns with delayed tissue destruction.

Ingestion: May cause circulatory system failure. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Causes severe digestive tract burns with abdominal pain, vomiting, and possible death.

Inhalation: Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. Palpitation, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema may result from inhalation exposure.

Chronic: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Prolonged or repeated eye contact may cause conjunctivitis.

First Aid measures:

Eyes: Get medical aid at once. Immediately flush eyes with water lifting upper/lower lids occasionally until chemical is gone (15-20min.)

Skin: Get medical aid at once. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Remove contaminated clothing to reduce further exposure. Cover burns with a dry sterile bandage (loose, not tight).

Ingestion: Do NOT induce vomiting. Give conscious victim 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid at once. Medical personnel may do esophagoscopy, irrigate injured area with 1% acetic acid to neutralize alkali.

Inhalation: Get medical aid at once. Move victim to fresh air immediately. Give artificial respiration if necessary. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Notes to Physician: Treat symptomatically and supportively.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would be flushing with copious amounts of water while contacting your md and driving to the emergency room. basic solutions have a temndancy to cause horrible deep tissue injuries, especially if not treated within minutes.

·
Administrator
745 Posts
I'm guessing that this guy is currently in the hospital....

redneckcougarguy - i hope you are doing better :)

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Southpaw said:
What did they have you do just wash up with some soapy water and go home?
They had me wash up with soapy water, but made me stay because we were severly short on people.

StupidFly said:
on a side note... how big is "a bottle?" Are we talking Liters? Deciliters?
Bottle was either two or three liters.

Palmguy said:
Very, very basic. PH is 13 or 14 IIRC. Not cool man...

I have not been to a hospital, because A.) I'm an idiot and B.) The pain in my legs went away after I showered.

I am also pretty sure I got the concentration wrong as well. The only thing I am giving management credit for is response time. They were at least quick about it.

timb and DirtyBird46 thanks for the information. I intend on raising hell tomorrow when I go in, seeing as I know EXACTLY where they keep the MSDS for everything that we will ship.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
They had me wash up with soapy water, but made me stay because we were severly short on people.

Bottle was either two or three liters.

I have not been to a hospital, because A.) I'm an idiot and B.) The pain in my legs went away after I showered.

I am also pretty sure I got the concentration wrong as well. The only thing I am giving management credit for is response time. They were at least quick about it.

timb and DirtyBird46 thanks for the information. I intend on raising hell tomorrow when I go in, seeing as I know EXACTLY where they keep the MSDS for everything that we will ship.
Ok, you need to watch out for YOU, because the company's only obligation is to its bottom line. Go see a workman's comp doctor. If your company is self-insured, make sure you see a doc that is on their approved list FIRST, then you can do a change of care paper to whatever doctor you want. If you don't do that, they'll fight the workman's comp claim tooth and nail. Don't ask me how I know...

-Rob

·
Registered
355 Posts
umm yea thats not so good.... NaOH aka caustic soda is 13PH and extremely basic. Even if i was saturated with it i would take off my clothes and use water for 10 minutes plus. The procedure at my work (power plant) Is to send you the hospital asap after using safety showers, BTW the way your employer dealt with the situation is unacceptable.... contact OSHA. Not only is caustic bad for you skin, but also fumes are bad to breath in.... good luck

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Perhaps you should "accidentally" spill a liter of it all over your bosses lap and see if he stays for the rest of his shift or strips and heads for a garden hose and then the hospital...

while I don’t have much faith in OSHA doing anything to encourage them to do the right thing in future, they certain deserve having their conduct reported to OSHA. It sounds like they're a real bunch of winners running that place, eff them! they deserve it.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I had the Equivalent of half a bottle of 50% saturated solution of NaOH pour over my arm and legs at work this morning. All I know about it is that it was in a saturated solution at 50% (like I stated already), had a Corrosive sticker, and that my legs are starting to hurt. ****ing management can rot in a very unpleasant place.
Still working for FedEx?

I had that stuff pour on my hands @ work thanks to an unloader sending up the leaking package. I also happened to have a nice cut on the hand. TALK ABOUT PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously felt like weaping from the excruciating pain!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Still working for FedEx?

I had that stuff pour on my hands @ work thanks to an unloader sending up the leaking package. I also happened to have a nice cut on the hand. TALK ABOUT PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously felt like weaping from the excruciating pain!
Dang, I thought DHL was bad about that kind of stuff. Short staffed or not, I would have went to the ER, and they would have let me.

I went home one night after I was driving across the ramp on a belt loader and a hydraulic line exploded. It sprayed all over me and in my face and eyes. They had eyewash, but had nothing for me to clean my contacts with. Thankfully I've never had a mishap with really dangerous haz mat. The last bad spill they had was a massive mercury spill a few months ago. I believe they're scrapping a DC-9 and a 767 because of it. I'm not sure if anyone was directly affected by it though.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts