TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace the inner tie rods this weekend, real bad. What's the easiest way to do this? I've looked through the forums and read it was easy but I just want to make sure I have all the proper tools. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah its pretty easy, just make sure you have a drill with a small bit to drill out the rivits if this is the first time you've changed them. you'll also need some hose clamps to use on the rubber boot as the factory ones are the crimp on type and cant be re-used.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's definately the first time. The Haynes manual doesn't help at all. Chilton helped a bit more. I would have ever knew about the pins. Appreciate the input.:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've not changed the tie-rods on this Bird, but on cars that I have pulled tie-rods, it has always helped me to COUNT THE NUMBER OF TURNS that it takes to remove the tie-rod. Then when you install the new one, bring it in the same number of turns. This will help when you finally get to adjusting the alignment.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah thats a good point, if you keep it as close as possible you can probably get away without doing an alignment. i didnt do one on my cougar when i changed them. another thing i like to do is put anti-seize on the threads when i put it back together, makes it alot nicer if you ever have to take it apart again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts