TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
FordFanatic said:
drill out the rivit that is on it and then screw it out.
Have a pic... bc ive never had to drill anything out ... but i havent changed one on a 94 either ... but i definitely believe that you dont need to drill ... if soo .. please let me see in a pic.

94s have rack an pinion steering... sooo only have outers?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a 97'. When I replaced my front end from lug nuts in, except for the rack and pinion gear and the inner tie rods, I still had a click noise in parking lots, when wheels were turned and going in reverse or forward. Come to find out from Pep Boy's that it was the rack and pinion gears. You get the housing and gears, plus the inner tie rods and the alignment for about $430 with tax. This solved the problem. 2 other so called big shops didn't have a clue. One good point about Pep Boy's is that the parts you need are right inside the store. You don't have to wait 8 hours to do a 2 hour job because you're not waiting on parts. In 2-1/2 hours the R&P with inner tie rods were in, and alignment was steering wheel dead center. Money well spent. Ed

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
originally posted by ITT-BIRD
Have a pic... bc ive never had to drill anything out
nope i sure dont, but every one i've changed there has been a rivit that has to be drilled out. maybe yours were changed out previously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't post on here very often, but, I can help on this one, according to the ford service manual some of the cars have a coil pin, and some have a rivet. It says to tap gently on a sharp chisel under the head of the rivet, but don't cut it off. once you have some space under the rivet use a set of diagonal and pry the pin out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tryed everything for the last week to try and get that thing off and everything i did didnt work so i took it to the shop and paid 230 plus tax parts and labor for something i could of did my slef and just bought the part for 30 bucks but thnax guys. If you wanna have a look at my cougar just copy and paste this link which is-----------------------cardomain.com/id/1994cougar

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tie rods are kinda hard to do, in particular the inner tie rod ends. I did my outer ones, but I just had Tires plus do the Inner ones. Besides if they mess up the alignment in doing it you get that done for free... =)

And its not much money to have them do it

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Hollywood Ed said:
I have a 97'. When I replaced my front end from lug nuts in, except for the rack and pinion gear and the inner tie rods, I still had a click noise in parking lots, when wheels were turned and going in reverse or forward. Come to find out from Pep Boy's that it was the rack and pinion gears. You get the housing and gears, plus the inner tie rods and the alignment for about $430 with tax. This solved the problem. 2 other so called big shops didn't have a clue. One good point about Pep Boy's is that the parts you need are right inside the store. You don't have to wait 8 hours to do a 2 hour job because you're not waiting on parts. In 2-1/2 hours the R&P with inner tie rods were in, and alignment was steering wheel dead center. Money well spent. Ed
let me clue ya in, most dealerships have all the parts they need, but theres always time when they dont have the one part you need on sotck, for seconds pep boys is terrible, for every 2 cars they put out ok they mess one up, i should know i worked at one for 7 months, there practices are a little scary if you ask me, when your told to pound something out and not worry as much about doing it right, sure you get alot of stuff right, but then other stuff slips, alot of stuff, b/c of the pressure of time put on you by pep boys, i dont think id work for one again, also at age 17 i was working close to 50 hours a week and some days 9 hour days without a lunch, i loved the money but i know thats super ilegal

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Raptorchef said:
Tie rods are kinda hard to do, in particular the inner tie rod ends. I did my outer ones, but I just had Tires plus do the Inner ones. Besides if they mess up the alignment in doing it you get that done for free... =)

And its not much money to have them do it
alighnment on a bird takes all of 2 seconds, the back will never be out those bolts dont move, the front is super easy took me all of 20 minutes one time to alighn mine

·
Registered
43 Posts
JoeyICU said:

alighnment on a bird takes all of 2 seconds, the back will never be out those bolts dont move, the front is super easy took me all of 20 minutes one time to alighn mine

Ahh mine were down on a 95 vic, and it sucked.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
94cougar4.6 said:
How would i perform an alignment? What are the procedures
I just take mine down to my buddy at the dealership.... but...... ive did an alignment on my crown vic by wrapping a string around the tires. put steering wheel straight. and since i only change rod ends i didnt have to worry about camber, toe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My stock inner rods still had the rivet in them, but the rivet didn't go through the rack shaft that the rod bolts to. I just used a big wrench that fit (not a cresent) and wrenched away. They were a SOB to get off but they finally loosened. Before I took them out I marked on the old one were the adjustment was and when it was out I copied the mark to the new rod and put the adjustment nut to my mark. Then I measured from back to back of the rims and the front to front of the rims and split the difference, meanwhile have somebody hold the steering wheel still and straight. Mine deffenately had to be original cause on one the ball was about to come out of the socket. Yeah that bad.

Clay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts