TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you bright guys, i need some help.
on the 97 XR7 the inside mirror fell off. The little button glued to the glass let go. I cleaned and scarped the windshield. The i used the kit form the local auto store. A tube of green stuff called activator and a tube of glue. put the activator on both halves as recommended waited two minutes used one drop of glue. pushed the button back in place and taped it up for the required one hour. reatached the mirror and everything is fine, been up for almost a year now.
Same thing different car, 91 Lumina of my daughters, i can't get the dang thing to stay up for more than 2 days. It always falls off. So i bought the deluxe kit with a new button in it, i carefully used a razor blade to find the flatest spot on the windsheild did the activator and the glue, It held for three days then fell off, went to the auto store and bught a new button with double stick pad on it instead of glue. this lasted about 10 minutes. I moved the button and got new glue from a different store, it lasted about three days. When its up I can yank on it pretty hard, adjust the mirror six ways from sunday and its tight, then bang it just falls off.
What's up, why can't i get this thing to stick!!!!?? I've scapped and cleaned, with windex, acetone, thinner i've rinsed the whole area with clean water. I've cleaned the back of the button, i even tried roughing it up with some 600 grit paper. still can't get this thing to stay on, probally 12 attempts in the past month. I'm about to break the darn window with a rock and call the insurance compamny for a new window.
Any suggestion for such a simple thing.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have used those mirror glue kits with moderate success. Usually the key is very little glue - like one drop. I have had better success with the regular 2 part epoxy glue. Takes much longer to dry - like 24 hours but it usually lasts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
baylensman said:
Here's one for you bright guys, i need some help.
on the 97 XR7 the inside mirror fell off. The little button glued to the glass let go. I cleaned and scarped the windshield. The i used the kit form the local auto store. A tube of green stuff called activator and a tube of glue. put the activator on both halves as recommended waited two minutes used one drop of glue. pushed the button back in place and taped it up for the required one hour. reatached the mirror and everything is fine, been up for almost a year now.
Same thing different car, 91 Lumina of my daughters, i can't get the dang thing to stay up for more than 2 days. It always falls off. So i bought the deluxe kit with a new button in it, i carefully used a razor blade to find the flatest spot on the windsheild did the activator and the glue, It held for three days then fell off, went to the auto store and bught a new button with double stick pad on it instead of glue. this lasted about 10 minutes. I moved the button and got new glue from a different store, it lasted about three days. When its up I can yank on it pretty hard, adjust the mirror six ways from sunday and its tight, then bang it just falls off.
What's up, why can't i get this thing to stick!!!!?? I've scapped and cleaned, with windex, acetone, thinner i've rinsed the whole area with clean water. I've cleaned the back of the button, i even tried roughing it up with some 600 grit paper. still can't get this thing to stay on, probally 12 attempts in the past month. I'm about to break the darn window with a rock and call the insurance compamny for a new window.
Any suggestion for such a simple thing.
Go to a auto glass replacement shop. They can glue it on for you. Probably won't charge you ( my shop wouldn't) and you'll be all set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts