TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't post it here or on SCCoA for that matter due to the number of pictures, you'll all have to go HERE to see it..

Questions or comments I'll be checkin in!

Jeramie

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you need two slide hammers and the special adaptors to fit the pump body.

The main thing you need is the lip seal installers.. They are about $90...

Jeramie

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are part of the Ford Rotunda AOD tool kit.

I got a kit second hand, and they don't sell them new anymore.. If you were to do it yourself and didn't have the kit, you can take it to a local trans shop and they will do it for like $5, or maybe even free..

·
Registered
142 Posts
cool, am good at finding hard to find items, anyways man thanks a lot about the response, I dont mean to be annoying, I just had my aod half disassembled, for a while and I think is time I finish what I started, seeing someone else saying it isnt as difficult as peeps make it seem, its an inspiration.

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well depending on how much of a PITA your front pump might be, you could try my "ghetto" method.. hehe..

Before I had the kit, I successfully disassembled an AOD by screwing in two 10mm bolts (I ~think~ they were 10mm anyway), with a washer and a chain (like swingset chain from a hardware store).. I then took pulled the chain taut, grabbed a brick and used the brick to break the pump free.

Basically the brick tugged on the chain, which pulled on both sides of the pump.

I know, its ghetto, but it worked..

lemme know if you have any more questions.. I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
for a second there I thought you beat your AOD to submission with that brick hehe, ama try that tomorrow. so what does the kit include anyways? any ideas where I might find one?

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It includes a lot of stuff.. Bushing removers and installers, valve body guide pins, endplay checkers, lip seal installers, etc..

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
That is very informative, def should get it together and submit a tech article if you have the time.

How in the hell did that input shaft get smooth and have no teeth on it????? that is crazy.

I have an old AOD i want to attempt to rebuild as a backup trann, but I dont want to spend the big bucks for a shop to do it.

Chris

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be cool to have this as a tech article! You may use all the pictures and info, just please credit me for creation.. I put a lot of work into that!

Jeramie

·
Banned
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm always happy to help! I've rebuilt 4r70w's too! They are nearly identicle mechanically to the AOD, with a few design/feature changes..

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Good write-up.
The only things that may be of a future issue in that trans are the Kevlar OD band,and those super thin steels in the Direct clutch pack.
The problem is the heat needing to be shed by the direct on a WOT 2-3 upshift-esp in a 3800+ lb car.The thinner steels are not up to that task over the long term,and will burn the clutch frictions over time.
It would have also been nice to upgrade to the 4 plate type intermediate instead of the 3-plate-it has alot more capacity.
Other than that..looks like you've done a good job.
JL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts