TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swaped out my clutch fan in my 5.0 and threw in a MK8 fan. I ran a 15.2 BEFORE the fan mod, but now ran a 15.7 after the fan? It was realllly cold and the air was very cool, bout 55 degrees.

The car seems to be pulling strongly and running just fine, but I don't know why I'm running SLOWER.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
well

I dont think the fan would make a difference.. When you ran the 15.2, what was the temperature out, and the altitude? And what was the temp when you ran the 15.7, and the altitute? Did you have more gas then the first time? Do any other mods? What we're your 60ft times, etc?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If the fan draws too much power, you might not have enough for your plugs to fire at high rpms. Also if it draws more current, the alt will produce more parasitic drag.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah, but 1/2 a second?.....n/m

N/M

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd suggest you turn the fan off during your run. You'll have plenty of air flow once you're under way, and you won't have the parasitic drag during the run.

Regards,
Bob P.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here's an interesting thought. How hard would it be to install a power cutoff relay on the fan control circuit? That way, you could completely kill the fan for the 1/4 mile, or whenever else;) . Set it (the relay) up as normally closed, so when the car is turned off, it resets the fan back to normal mode... Could also be used on the highway, but I doubt it even runs then.

Peter

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my first run, it felt like it wasn't pulling all that hard in 2nd gear around 4500-5000rpm. Besides the MK8 fan, which draws 75 amps when its on, I'm running an MSD 6AL which is supposed to keep the spark strong at high rpms... maybe that unit isn't getting enough power?

This is a mystery that I want solved right away.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Graphics buff,.....eh?

Peter M said:
Here's an interesting thought. How hard would it be to install a power cutoff relay on the fan control circuit? That way, you could completely kill the fan for the 1/4 mile, or whenever else;) . Set it (the relay) up as normally closed, so when the car is turned off, it resets the fan back to normal mode... Could also be used on the highway, but I doubt it even runs then.

Peter
No doubt....how 'bout some pics of your car...
looks interesting.....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Check the Misc. board, under 'Possible Paintjob Poll'. It's all Photoshop though:D
I'm trying to to the SuperStallion Mustang job in P.Shop right now...

I am going to try to find out more about the fan switching. It could be fun.;)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got back from autozone... it seems like the alt is producing 14 amps at 2000 rpms when the fan is ON... so I'm guessing thats not my problem. The plugs need to be changed, but its not running lean or rich.

I'm out of ideas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts