TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it this evening and I am impressed.Other then that my 96 is 100% stock and it it will break the tires loose when it hits second,and I have 275/40 17s.I havent had the chance to take it out on the highway yet but so far I am cool with the programing.All you have to do is hook it up to your diaognostic port and punch a few buttons and answer a few questions.Takes about 20 minutes and it is done.I am hoping that the top end limiter is eliminated because 110mph top speed sucks.Will know the results tonight and let you all know later.
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Umm, unless you've replaced the torque converter and the driveshaft, I wouldn't recommend removing the top speed limiter. But if you ddon't value your car/life, then by all means, go for it. The stock TC balloons at about 5400rpm and the stock driveshaft vibrates and wobbles way to much to be remotely safe at those speeds. If either one of those let go when you're at 110MPH+, then kiss your ass goodbye...

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top End elimiter....

Believe it or not I do value my life.And I value the lives of others,that is why I am serving in the US Navy.But I am aware of the driveshaft that is why I am going with the Dennys driveshaft out of my Mark VIII along with 4:10 gears.Here is an update on the top end elimiter,the programmer will only let you adjust it for S rated tires.I took it out last night and hit abour 118 and it shut down on me.I am going to see about removing that pin everyone is talking about but I am NOT going to attempt those speeds again until I get that driveshaft and rear end in.
Thanks for the concern,I hope it didnt sound like I was being a smart ass because I wasnt.I totally understand where you was coming from.
Chris

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
"that pin" does not work, and has never worked in EEC-V vehicles. The article needs to be taken down.

Not trying to be a jerk either, just letting you know before you spend a long time trying to get something to work that just plain won't. :D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I wasn't trying to be a smartass and I didn't know you were replaving thr driveshaft. But are you still on the stock converter or have you changed that too? I said what I said in the attempt of keeping you from doing something incredibly stupid and getting yourself killed. Its good that you're serving in the Navy, I hope you like it. Good luck with your car and fly safe!

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its all cool....

I wasnt or did I ever think you was being a smart ass,I totally understand where you are coming from.And I Thank You.I still do have the stock converter,if it comes apart that is more reason for me to put the 5-speed in.Thanks for the heads up on that pin deal ShadowDragon.That really saved me alot of time.
Chris

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top speed????

Is there another way to get rid of that limiter besides going to a chip?That was a magor concern of mine but since this didnt work I might have to go that route again.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
You can get the EEC reflashed during a "tuning session" by "the man" instead of a chip if you prefer. Other than that, no :/

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whos the man????

Just wondering?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
Last I heard we weren't supposed to really say, but here's a hint, it's his programming that Dominic and Dennis use, and it's his modifications we do to our trannys... that he designed. ;)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
EDIT: I goofed up and said his name, but i've since changed that!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Were not really saposta say his name anymore, (several reasons), but i'll give you a hint. starts with a j and ends with a y. You can find his name in the tech articles, transmission, trans 101 (top article). He is THE MAN. Read his article. you'll see why.

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh... I see

I am new here so please excuse my ignorance,but why cant anyone say his name?Like I said,I am new so PLEASE dont stone me for asking.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
I still say we should get a bunch of "TypeJ" badges for our cars ;)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hehe, Ford Type-J! Sound cool to me! I think it'd be cool if we got them made to fit inthe holes in the trunklid that the blue oval bolts on through. We could switch it out and take the rest of the emblems off and confuse lotsa people when we outrun them!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am new here so please excuse my ignorance,but why cant anyone say his name?Like I said,I am new so PLEASE dont stone me for asking.
Thanks,
Chris
Were not stoning you. I guess hes trying to stay low-key. Thats my guess.

HAHAHAHAHA!
Type-J. I'd buy one!

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks....

Thanks for not getting me stoned,lol.I could be in some serious troble if that happened.The military has a 0 tolerance towards that now.I know who you are talking about and I will keep the peace and not mention the "J" word either.Thanks to you all.
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Not a problem, and welcome to the club. :) Keep a cool attitude and a sense of humor and you'll go far here. This place has an absolute wealth of knowledge to offer and if you ask for and put yourself in your place, instead of being a jackass and a know-it-all, you'll learn more than you'd expect. I come from a GM fanatic family, and I've learned to actually LIKE Fords! Who'd expect that?!

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GM Fanatic family....

LOL,My blood has been blue since birth,lol.I have owned one Chevy product,it was a 1969 ElCamino SS.Bad Ass car but to light in the back,that is why I dont have it any more,its ashame because it would probably be worth something now since it was all orginal and had a 396 4-speed.Orange extior with black interior,and all orginal but that was 15 years ago.
Thanks for the welcome to the club.I dont usually start trouble but I have been know not to keep my mouth shut when I disagree on something.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
You don't have to keep your mouth shut, just be careful how you say whats on your mind. If you come on here saying that your stock 3.8 N/A with 250,000 miles is gonna outrun Kurt Danner, Seabass, or Blake without breakin a sweat, and keep that kinda of ricey attitude, then the fire will burn hotter than ever. But come on here as a cool person and the community will accept you as one of our own. :) (I say our, but I have ZERO recognition here)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts