TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted and balanced them at school today and found that my two driver side rims are slightly bent, ouch! So that would be were my slight vibration is coming from. The vibration is barely noticable now after balance, tie rod ends, front end alignment, valve stems lined up to yellow painted stud, new tires and torqued down to 90 ft. lbs.

So anyways, I put 35psi in the tires and they feel a little to soft and have some roll.
What psi do you guys run this size (245/60/15) at? Would it make a difference if I went up to 40psi?

They look much better than stock too, I love them! BTW I have the raised white letters showing...

:D

Oh and does anyone use the Aggressive Handling Specs ?

I plan on doing it at school, is there any noticable difference?

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks for the response. After driving some more today, they definatly feel too soft at 35psi!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are the 245/60's you installed on the stock 15" wheel?

If not, what width wheel are you running.

thx,
JC

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Look on the side of the tire. Almost no tires today still want the old 32-35psi. The D load rated tires on my Super Duty call for 60lbs! I run them at that when I'm towing, but it's a bit harsh around town. So I air down to about 52lbs or so. Works well for me. On the car, I keep them up around 42-46 as per the ratings on the sidewall. They are great. Of course I have 255/50-17s on the car.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Mach Says said:
Are the 245/60's you installed on the stock 15" wheel?

If not, what width wheel are you running.

thx,
JC
Yeah, they are on the stock 15in. rims!

Here are a few pics:

·
Registered
890 Posts
It depends on what your goal is as to how much air pressure to run. As SW said, the recommended psi may not be optimal for all people.

If tire wear is a concern, one trick is to take a tire chalk (or any chalk for that matter) and draw a line across the tread, drive the car a few tire revolutions, and see how the chalk is wearing. If it wears off in the middle first, then lower the air pressure, if it is wearing at the edges first, increase the psi.

·
Registered
573 Posts
mamberg said:
It depends on what your goal is as to how much air pressure to run. As SW said, the recommended psi may not be optimal for all people.

If tire wear is a concern, one trick is to take a tire chalk (or any chalk for that matter) and draw a line across the tread, drive the car a few tire revolutions, and see how the chalk is wearing. If it wears off in the middle first, then lower the air pressure, if it is wearing at the edges first, increase the psi.
Hate to cut in, but that is an excellent and difinitive answer to tire pressures. Just makes me want to jump out of my seat and go to it. Thanks. This should be a tech article ! Go to it. Ed

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Tony, is your bird stock height??

I'm gonna be getting into some 245/60's for my chrome fans this week hopefully...and head down to the track to burn it up.:ztoohot:

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i have had 245-60-15 on my car for awhile, though not bfg's. i was running 32 psi, and have wear in the middle. i believe it is because 245 is a strain on the 6.5" rims, but i like the look, so i don't care. i now have 4 new bfg 245-60-15 that will be mounted today...blackwall out(light blue car). the side of the tire states no more than 35 psi. i think i will stick to 30psi.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tbird9768 said:
Tony, is your bird stock height??

I'm gonna be getting into some 245/60's for my chrome fans this week hopefully...and head down to the track to burn it up.:ztoohot:
Yea it's stock ride height for now!

;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
ONly problem i got is I got 01 LS rims on and you need 5/16 spacers. Teh stupid wheel weights hit the control arms only on tight lock in a hard corner barely. Btu i ahve 235/40/17 and that is the biggest Lincoln or manyufactures I have looked into recommend for the 17x7.5 rim. Maybe i am wrong I heard more can be installe dbut tires will wear unevenly. So i figure a fatter tire onthe front would NOT WORK on myc ar the rear probably after seeing the sizes yo guys have put on those stock rims. a 255/50/17 yeah woud be bad ***. I have the H&R lower spriongs so i sit a bit lower at 1 3/4 on front and back. what you guys think would be smart on a 17x7.5 rim.
Regg:confused:

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Regg, I'd do the 245/50 or the 255/50. Both should fit just fine. The only time my tires have ever rubbed up front is turning into an off-camber driveway with the wheels turned hard. Then they rubbed lightly on the inner fender....no biggie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts