TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Its not positioned right. With your foot on the brakes try to start it in each gear and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Its not positioned right. With your foot on the brakes try to start it in each gear and see what happens.
+1 You have to have it in the right position. Just hole the key on start and move the gear selector and see if you hit a spot where it turns over. If that spot isn't P or N, you need to adjust the position of the new sensor.

Did you get the correct switch? I ask that because they changed in 1996 and I want to make sure you got the right one.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its definately in the right position, I understand how it works and how to install it...I had the car in N and made sure the lines were lines up, installed it and the car wont crank, threw the stock one back on and it fires right up.

Im not sure what the guy gave me, I told him it was a for a 96 GT and he gave me this whole kit. It was from a Ford dealership and was retarded expensive, like 115 dollars. The part number is F5AZ-7A247-AA

It looked like the same sensor to me just slightly different.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Justin - it can be just a twitch off and not work.

As I said, you need to adjust it to make sure it's lined up right.

1996 Mustang GT?

I can spit out the Ford service manual pages on how to adjust, but they use a special tool.

The easiest is to set it in REVERSE, adjust the backup lights, and then verify the unit starts in PARK and NEUTRAL. Or you can do the ohm tests ...

IF you just bolted it up, I'll lay dollars to donuts it wasn't adjusted right.

Did you see if the unit would crank in R or OD instead with the new one installed?

RwP

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Justin - it can be just a twitch off and not work.

As I said, you need to adjust it to make sure it's lined up right.

1996 Mustang GT?

I can spit out the Ford service manual pages on how to adjust, but they use a special tool.

The easiest is to set it in REVERSE, adjust the backup lights, and then verify the unit starts in PARK and NEUTRAL. Or you can do the ohm tests ...

IF you just bolted it up, I'll lay dollars to donuts it wasn't adjusted right.

Did you see if the unit would crank in R or OD instead with the new one installed?

RwP

Hmm, I see. I did not check if it would start anywhere else.

I just installed it in Neutral and lined up the same lines that were lined up on my factory one.

Maybe I will have to try it install it again.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Again, the proper way has NOTHING to do with lining up lines.

There's a tool set that aligns it for you.

Past that, the best way is to test it ...

As I said, trying to get the backup lights first, and then verify it can start.

One idea -if you pull the EEC fuse, you should be able to crank it without it starting.

That would tell you if it's right or not.

RwP

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, the proper way has NOTHING to do with lining up lines.

There's a tool set that aligns it for you.

Past that, the best way is to test it ...

As I said, trying to get the backup lights first, and then verify it can start.

One idea -if you pull the EEC fuse, you should be able to crank it without it starting.

That would tell you if it's right or not.

RwP

So your saying those lines mean nothing lol...didnt know that.

I didnt think there was that much play in the thing anyway since there is an alignment groove on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts