TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my motor is totally screwed so I am buying a 00 PI 4.6. Now as far as I know its a direct swap so it should be pretty easy but we all know that nothing ever goes as planned when doing something to your car. I know alot of you guys have done this and I was just needing some major advice. I have never done anything to my bird this extensive. I was under the impression that everything bolts right up including the wiring harness. Now as far as a chip goes, will I need to change my computer to a mustang computer or have my chip reburned or both? Also, headers....I assume I need lose my stock 96 manifolds and use an aftermarket system such as JBAs. I am really needing some big advice here so I really appreciate any help.

Elliott

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Nope and nope. I'm using the tbird computer with my origional chip burn and the tbird exhaust manifolds bolted up

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ok, you are going to a 01 gt, so you might just as well check the number of bolt holes in the crank, and if its 8, you will need a new flex plate...the cobra/ mk VIII tork converter is the way to go and you need to make sure the flex plate mates to the t/c and crank bolt pattern.... Also, check the recess in the crank, and make sure there isnt a pilot bearing there as pulling the engine a second time is a PITA, And a lot of GT's were sticks.( I know this sounds dumb, but I did this with two pro's , and we all missed removing the dang thang, and did a lotta swearing when it didnt fit and hadda pull it again- this with a 5.4L which is considerably tougher to "ease" in or out) When replacing the Tork converter, you might as well replact the front tranny seal as its a wear item and having to go back in there again in a fwew thousand miles is no fun..Save some money, and use your cast iron headers from the bird, as they are allready available to you and unless you stick mega bucks into long tube headers.there isnt that much gain with headers..Port matching with a dremel and a grinding wheel is easy and may help a bit...the 'stang pan will not fit in a bird, so swap 'em... (you will see what its about when you pull the motor, as the Bird's pan has a hump up to clear the K-member)...use all electronicsand harness from the bird, and save the Gt harness for its connectors,as they are hard to come by, and you "may" need one to swap out with a no fit on the GT engine (this happened on my '99 5.4 install, may not happen with you.).. By all means have a chip burned to accommodate the higher flowing heads, and any other mods , as you will be flowing more air and run a risk of being too lean and frying something.Have Reinhart or one of the other tuners do it, not superchip.. by all means get new motor mounts as they are seriously old and you will still have soft mounts unles you find some upgerades......You will probably have a few little differences that will take a bit of "adjustment" , but hey thats why youre into this sort of thing. Good Luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like I have a big project ahead of me. Is there anyone in the Oklahoma/Dallas area that would be willing to help me? I can pay you a reasonable amount and maybe give you some parts or something. any assistance would be great since my mustang mechanic hates working on my tbird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts