TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing a Vortech in my 4.6L 96 TBird, I decided to go through with a 3V swap on my 97 TBird sister car. I'm about mid way and using a 2006 Mustang 3V. I'll retain the CDAN4 strategy with a Quarter Horse controller. Therefore, the IAC, coil packs, return type fuel system, slot style MAF sensor and a Navigator throttle body will be used. The two biggest mods are a hole in the hood and the steering shaft must be changed. I went with a steer mod found here on TCCoA. I'm using an off-road head pipe and since my engine is a 2006, I will be retaining the oddball thermostat setup in the lower radiator hose. I'm keeping the PS pump in the lower block position as used on 2V instead of the head mounted 3V version. I'm keeping AC/heat. I should be on the road in a month or so. I'm not doing a video on this like I did for the Vortech but if anyone has questions, I'll be glad to answer them......Ken.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know because I felt it would be just too close to the frame rail. However, I'm not using the front sway bar which allows easy filter install using the normal 2V filter adaptor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a few shot of the steer shaft mod. I'll come up with a better shaft boot at a latter date.

The dipstick tube has to be bent to clear the 2V motor mount and exh. manifold. One of the 3V mount bosses has to be grind down to clear the 2V mount stud/nut as well.

The tranny dipstick tube is bolted to a hole in the 2V head. The 3V head doesn't have that hole so I made a bracket to tie it to the bellhousing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
very interested in progress. went to change the plugs on my newly aquired 95 and a plug whole repair came out with the dang plug!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3V dropped in. Reused the 2V oil pan and pickup tube. The 3V windage could not be used. Had less clearance concerns than I thought I would have.

Mounted the PS pump in the 2V position which allowed me to reuse the 2V oil filter adaptor. It looks like the pulley is hitting the chain cover but it isn't.

The belt routing is the same as the 2V but the upper idler is from the 3V which is just a bit larger than the 2V.

The 2V alt. battery cable standoff has to be removed because it hits the bottom of the 3V intake.

·
Super Moderator
11,930 Posts
I can't believe you didn't paint the valve covers.
Sodablasted, they hold paint like a sponge. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,930 Posts
Read up on the spark plug issues first. Those plugs like to come apart.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Super Moderator
11,930 Posts
Decipha was wondering awhile back why more people didnt try them; that was pretty much why I never considered them.
There aren't any stock but umproved cams. :) Finding the cobra cams is half the fun of 4v, lol.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts