TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m not normally big on this but 3V valve covers look really cool polished or chromed
I have another pair of covers I'll likely do something to but for now, I just want to get it running and verify everything is ok, first.

Read up on the spark plug issues first. Those plugs like to come apart.
I was a Ford tech for 47 years so I know all about the spark plug deal. The originals on this engine came out with no breaks. If you put just a little anti-seize on the tip shoulder, you won't have a problem in the future.

I'm working on the wiring now. I'm using the stock 2V harness which I found it's best to run the harness under the intake manifold. I removed a lot of the electrical tape and sheathing to reposition and lengthen some connectors. I'm running the crank and cam sensor, AC clutch, oil pressure etc. wires under the coolant crossover and out between the heads and alternator. I will replace the old style injector connectors with the newer style injector lengthened pigtails/connectors and feed those through the slotted hole between the intake runners to the injectors. I still have to make brackets for the coil packs, PS reservoir, IAC and the throttle cable but those won't keep me from getting engine running.

·
Super Moderator
8,132 Posts
So if you’re using the 2v harness, I take it you’re also using the 2v computer and eliminating the VVT, right? If so, what effect do you expect that to have on the power level of the 3v compared to stock?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes, the phasers are disabled. I might lose some above 5K rpm. Normally the cam timing is full advanced (no voltage at the VCT sol.) through about 4.5-5K where it does start to retard (voltage on the VCT) however, the retarding of the cam is mainly for gas mileage and emissions to create the EGR effect. In fact, most very high lift or so called stage 3 cams have to be installed with the phasers locked. I am running this with stock cams for now and I'm programming it as if it's a 2V with really goods heads.

·
Super Moderator
11,921 Posts
Maybe; my boss had a 3v 5.4l in his truck; he went to replace the plugs and they came out in pieces.
There has to be a better way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Maybe; my boss had a 3v 5.4l in his truck; he went to replace the plugs and they came out in pieces.
There has to be a better way.
What helped back in the day was to replace the plugs at about 50K miles. The longer you wait, the more likely they will break. Put just a dab of anti-seize on the extended tip and you won't have a concern in the future. I remember that it happened mainly on trucks, less so on the Mustangs.

Just can’t resist a hole in the hood can you? 😂
A Shelby hood scoop could cover it but I like the RoadKill look for now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I totally got talked out of the 3v swap here on TCCOA.
The reason I considered it was the parts availability in the aftermarket eclipses the 2 valve and they do make good power, and they are SOHC.
We ended up with a Teksid 4 valve instead.

It will all work out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What helped back in the day was to replace the plugs at about 50K miles. The longer you wait, the more likely they will break. Put just a dab of anti-seize on the extended tip and you won't have a concern in the future. I remember that it happened mainly on trucks, less so on the Mustangs.

A Shelby hood scoop could cover it but I like the RoadKill look for now.
I saved the aluminum Mark VIII hood to fabricate a scoop from for the Cougar.
And then the hood closed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have it on the road now, runs great. A few test runs on an 1/8 mile strip with low 9 second ET's which likely makes it a low 14 second 1/4 mile. I'll find out this weekend. Have a somewhat covered hood for now. Thinking about a remote mounted turbo over the winter to match the performance of my Votech powered TBird 2V.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Looks good to me...there are sooo many 2 and 3v engines out there.

That was one reason we got into this, plenty of cheap engines.
We wanted to build the car with a remote turbo system built in and bolt in any old modular engine. NPI, 2 valve, 3 valve, whatever.

Of course, I totally defeated that aspect with the Teksid 4 valve.

I think I remember you doing a pretty good PI intake manifold video on a bird...am I right?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I saw your intake video and your cam degreeing video a couple years ago.

You do a good job and are comfortable in your skin on camera, naturally talented at it.

You should think about doing more of them, maybe a sequence of videos of the typical modified MN12 life cycle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Glad you liked the video. I've been doing these videos for 20+ years and have a four-part series on installing a Vortech in my 96 TBird. Although I didn't film the 3V engine swap, I might do an overveiw as well as film the remote turbo install, not sure yet. Last week, I ran a test and tune at NorthEast Dragway and went an 8.7 ET at 80 mph (1/8 mile). That should translate to a high 13 sec. 1/4 mile which what I was going for.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts