TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a battery box in my trunk for better weight distribution... where is a good spot to go through the firewall and how do I go about making a hole? (I know, I know... with a drill!) But where and how do I do it right... as not to create leaks and damage to the car?

I suppose some of you have run wiring for amps... how do you run the wiring for them? I ran my amp wiring under the car... but eventually the wire deteriorated and I ripped it out. I'm sure the wiring for a remote mounted battery isn't much different... so please share your ideas!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
In most of our cars, look at the brake where it goes thru the firewall.
Anywhere in that area, works.
You can just cut it with a knife, and seal the hole.
Or you can go about it hardcore with a drill, etc.
Look at your brake pedal, and right in that area is a lot of room to go thru...
but I did that on my '97, look at your car.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ThunderBeast86 said:
In most of our cars, look at the brake where it goes thru the firewall.
Anywhere in that area, works.
You can just cut it with a knife, and seal the hole.
Or you can go about it with a drill, etc.
Look at your brake pedal, and right in that area is a lot of room to go thru...
but I did that on my '97, look at your car.
Was that wiring for an amp... or a battery box?

·
Registered
598 Posts
It doesn't matter if it is for an amp or a battery, the same process would apply, especially since many guys are running just as large wires to their amps. If you do drill a whole in the firewall, make sure you use a rubber grommet, might want to pick one up first so you know what size hole to drill. This will keep any sharp points of the firewall from rubbing against the wire. From there I just dropped the wire down and ran it under the plastic doorsill piece, it just pops up, then I brought it up the side piece in the back and under the bottom of the rear seat to the trunk. I know some guys run their wires under the carpet instead of the doorsill, but I was lazy at the time.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds easy enough... anyone here have a battery box installed?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What I did was for an amp.
It's 1/0 guage tho. You can fit anything. Then you remove the panels, and remove the backseat, boom then it's in your trunk.
If you have the same stuff I do where the brake hits the firewall, it's a rubber substance, not metal. And it doesn't touch anything near the engine.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts